• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teaching cooking classes

_john

I have long been a student of food and cooking (and always will be) however I have never attended a formal cooking school. Now, largely at the request of potential students, I am thinking about trying my hand at teaching. Having no real example to copy or adapt a teaching method from I am hoping the infinite wisdom of eGullet can help me be a better teacher. Surely many of you have experience teaching about food and cooking at least in some capacity. Many others of you have been students at some point. What was the best class you took? What made it the best?

How should curriculum be decided? Should I start with knife skills and basic kitchen knowhow before even moving on to cooking anything? Or should I assume that most people already have their own way of doing things and just try to teach recipes or specific unknown techniques? What kind of materials (written) if any should be provided?

How long should a class be and what is a good example of pacing and division of time? I am thinking of a basic input stage, specific technique or element practice, a practical where the technique or element is used in a larger recipe, and finally tasting/comments/review.

How can I understand the motivations of potential students before they are in the classroom? I assume that some people are interested in techniques that can be applied to any kind of cooking whereas other people may only be interested in learning novel new recipes or seeing someone with experience make a recipe first hand.

These are the issues on my mind now. I have only just started to think about doing this. What am I missing? Thoughts? Anecdotes? thanks.

Just as with language teaching, a good teacher will assess the needs and wants of their students before progressing. This is especially important when designing a class for a particular group of students. You can do this through surveys or interviews, any way you please.

Once you figure that out, you've got to try to mesh your goals with theirs. What do you want them to learn? Can you teach them what they need? Will you group them into different levels, or have multiple levels in the same class?

I, personally, find it annoying to know much more or much less than others in the class, and prefer to be grouped with students of a similar level. If you have a wide range of skills in your cooking class, the higher-skilled students may not be interested in what you will need to teach the lower-level students.

Also, how will you charge for the class? Will you charge per class, or per group of classes? Charging per class would be easier, especially for mixed groups, as higher-level students can pick and choose the classes they're interested in.

Will you be teaching Japanese cooking or western or a variety of cuisines?

How long will your classes be?

One thing you can try is a demo class at ABC Cooking School. The first demo class is usually cake, then if you do a second demo class, you can choose with a cooking class (as opposed to a baking class) amongst the choices. You can see how they teach, and what they provide in terms of materials. They have branches everywhere, so if you're still working in Namba, for example, you can try the one at Namba Parks.

Have a look around here. Download the study guides for the certification exams. Might want to take a look at what they offer course wise as well. Should give you an idea/outline of what and in what oder you might want to teach.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

my take on the cooking lesson:

I believe the best cooking lessons are focused on one dish, meal, or sometimes a single ingredient.

I like to see the chef's preferred method of "making an omelete" (for example) and during the process of making it, the instructor discusses variations of ingredients, methods, tools....

I also think that as the lesson will obviously involve some technique, you should choose a technique to emphasize and insert a mini lesson in the appropriate place. Such as knife skills, while chopping and slicing for a salad, or good methods of trussing various poultry.

I guess I am describing a sort of holistic approach, resulting at the conclusion of the lesson, in one more dish for their repertoire and at least one newly mastered skill.

Cooking lessons: I teach as well as take. One thing as a taker I don't like it when the class is designed for advanced students and there is always one that isn't. Then the class is held up for them. If it says, ADVANCED then treat the class that way. If it's a demo class then except questions on what you are doing and know where the home cook can get his/her things. Don't tell them that you get it whole sale....and what are they to do. One last thing if you are teaching and you have a "secret" spice and you are using it in class then you better want to share. I have had this happen in classes! What I do in class is hand out the recipes. Then it's a demo I tell them what recipe I'm on and what I have written down then if there is something I don't have in the recipe ie"technique" I tell them it's not written up. If it's hands on then they go to the groups...but before this happens I find out what everyone is interested in. If it's 4 different techniques then I will call out I'm demoing on how to do so and so technique, they can come and see or not. As being a "chef" or not. As long as you are good no problem. I've had many classes with "chefs" and this is a secret or a few that annouced they don't like talking. So for 3 hour demo there might have been a half dozen words....not fun! Some of the best classes I have been too have been where the chef/instructor was willing share and the class didn't feel rush. That is also my goal. It's suppose to be fun!

Jane

I thought of my answer before I read the other in depth thoughtfull answers, but here is mine

If it is a hands on class

1st is Sanitation

2nd Knife skills

3rd you can take all the stuff that was cut up and make soup

yes it bypasses stock making, a crucial early skill but it does give the class something to enjoy at the end

also letting them know it is OK to jump backwards on one foot even if its just a plastic spoon you dropped...because next time it might be a 10 inch chef knife heading for your little toe

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

A couple of comments:

If you've never attended any cooking classes, I think you may be at a big disadvantage trying to teach them yourself. Assisting in a cooking program is a great way to learn the ropes, if that's a possibility for you. Even if you just attend a couple of "avocational" classes, it will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't -- timing, content, what to demo and what to skip, etc. If you can't do this, then I recommend going through a couple of dry runs with friends to get an idea of what all is involved. You may be surprised -- teaching is hard work, and it definitely takes practice.

Also, there's a big difference between single "avocational" classes and a professional cooking program. I assume you're talking about the former -- classes that food lovers take to learn about a specific cuisine or technique. If you've never even taken formal (i.e., professional) cooking classes, I'd strongly advise against trying to teach them.

Even in the "avocational" category, classes can range from a beginning series to very specific classes on one dish or technique. I'd suggest a) thinking about what you might be best at and b) researching what your potential students want and expect. If you choose a survey or beginning series when your students are expecting a focused class on, for instance, cake decorating (or baking or tamales or knife skills), it's going to be a tough adjustment for both you and them.

Also, you should think about whether you want to teach demonstration style classes or hands-on classes. They require very different approaches, and not everyone is well-suited to teach both.

If you have a specialty -- a cuisine or even just a dish -- that might be a good way to start off. Invite a couple of your potential students over and practice with them. You won't make any money for a while, but you'll gain invaluable experience.

These are the kinds of things you might want to think about before you get into details like a specific curriculum, or the length of classes.