• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sukkot Recipe Ideas/Help!

Lior

hello all! I am usually in the pastry forum...

Anyway, I have made meals over the last few weeks for my extended family (we are easily 16 people) for the Jewish holiday season. And now once again another holiday! I am out of ideas. I need two meals. I thought about the evening one:

1. Orange soup (sweet potatoes, pumpkin etc)

2. Egg and radish salad

3. Fresh salad

4. Cole slaw

5. mini quiches (mushroom, spinach, plain

6. What else?? Do I need another dish?

7. Someone else will do dessert

Main lunch meal the following day:

1. I want a cold soup - any ideas?? It is still kinda hot here !! No meat-there are semi-vegetarians

2. Artichoke salad

3. 3 bean salad

4. fish- grilled/baked in oven ?? Ideas?

5. What else??

I appreciate any help as I am out of ideas and motivation!

Thanks!

Lior

Edited by Lior (log)

I can't think of much at the moment, but for a cold soup in the second meal, how about a yogurt cucumber soup?

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

4. Cole slaw

Here's a coleslaw recipe I've had good luck with:

Red & Green Coleslaw

1/2 head red cabbage

1/2 head green cabbage

1/2 large red onion

1 Cup dried cranberries - Crazins

Dressing:

1/3 C cider vinegar

1/3 C vegetable oil

1/3 C sugar

1 tsp celery seed

In a small jar, combine the dressing ingredients and shake until sugar is dissolved.

Slice the vegetables very thinly and put into a large bowl. Add cranberries. Add dressing and toss well. Cover and place into fridge. Let sit for about 3 hours for flavors to combine, stirring occasionally. Drain and serve.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Also, since I suggested the yogurt cucumber salad, I'd grill the fish, but I guess that's just because I think yogurt, cucumber, and simply grilled fish go well together :smile:

I don't think you need to do anything too crazy, especially since it sounds like you're pretty burnt out; if I were you I'd just grill a few whole fish (like trout?) with just some salt, pepper, and oil. No need to over-complicate things. Maybe throw onto the grill some other veggies, with just salt, pepper and oil, along with the fish: zucchini, peppers (you could also roast and peel them, and toss with some balsamic and oil), onions, tomatoes... That meal is lunch, so I don't think you'd need much more than that.

Maybe if you wanted some sort of dessert, you could just grill some fruit (like these figs if you're feelin' fancy), too!

Hooray for fire! :biggrin:

As for the soup... I don't have any recipes I've used yet, but with some research on the 'net I found at least these two that sound viable (there are a lot out there)... you might want to make some adjustments though:

#1: Cucumber Yogurt Soup from http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/cukesou2.htm

#2: Cold Cucumber and Yogurt Soup from http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1925,155185-242206,00.html

(edited to address copyright issues)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

If you happen to have a nice recipe for the cold soup-I would really love it!! Thanks so much!! Iwill grill/broil in the oven- with vegetables as it is so hot in the middle of the day outside. I will think about what to do with figs- sounds nice. Any ideas?

Thank you verrrry much!

Hi! FeedmecOOkies- sorry! I did not see the links to cold soup recipes... I don't know why! I guess my brainhasbeen fried, roasted and baked!

And gifted gourmet, Iwill check out the links as soon as my kid is off to school-the only one still at home-luckily we have her!!!

Lior

Well in a while my "guests" will all be here! I made everything for tonight, as planned. Including the delicious cabbage/cranberry salad. I took photos of the slad and the sukkah which I will post as soon as I can. My son in law made fresh stuffed tomatoes, with a squished mush of white rice, mayo and tuna. They look lovely, with an olive on top of each one. It also tastes great, despite my hesitance! I will take a photo of these also!!

Tomorrow I changed the soup from cucumber to asparagus curry cold soup. It is different!

Thanks to all who helped motivate me and gave me ideas!! Bless this forum!!! :laugh:

Hi! Here are the pictures I said Iwould post forwhoeveris interested:

The sukkah

gallery_53591_4944_28291.jpg

The kids-mine is in the retro tunic...

gallery_53591_4944_28992.jpg

Some of my fam:

gallery_53591_4944_40767.jpg

The cabbage salad:

gallery_53591_4944_53401.jpg

The bean salad:

gallery_53591_4944_90740.jpg

The egg-radish salad: