• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Two weeks all over France

roosterchef21

Hey everyone! My first post and topic on this site.... Very Excited!

My wife and I are planning our first trip overseas for next September for 4 weeks. We are hoping to take in everything north of Rome (except Milan) in Italy (8 days), overnight through Switzerland, 2 weeks in France and with any luck (lots of praying here... just like everyone else) going to el bulli otherwise mugaritz.

Just wanting some advice on France. Plan to come into Lyon, spend a couple of days there, down to Nice incl Monaco for 1 night taking in Louis XV :biggrin: , along the South Coast of France and possibly up to Roquefort over 3 days, down to Spain for el bulli then train to Bordeaux for 2 days (need to catch up on a few days travel so taking train there) and finally back up to Paris for 4-5 days (incl Reims) via train.

At the moment, I am hoping to eat at Nicholas Le Bec's in Lyon, Louis XV in Nice, el bulli/mugaritz and hopefully another 1-2 places.

Just wondering if there is any places I should go see on the way, what other places I should possibly eat at (either a good value lunch or cheapish (relatively speaking) 3 star dinner would be preferred) and any other general advice anyone can offer me!

Thanks everyone!

My wife and I are planning our first trip overseas for next September for 4 weeks. We are hoping to take in everything north of Rome (except Milan) in Italy (8 days), overnight through Switzerland, 2 weeks in France and with any luck (lots of praying here... just like everyone else) going to el bulli otherwise mugaritz.

Just wanting some advice on France. Plan to come into Lyon, spend a couple of days there, down to Nice incl Monaco for 1 night taking in Louis XV :biggrin: , along the South Coast of France and possibly up to Roquefort over 3 days, down to Spain for el bulli then train to Bordeaux for 2 days (need to catch up on a few days travel so taking train there) and finally back up to Paris for 4-5 days (incl Reims) via train.

At the moment, I am hoping to eat at Nicholas Le Bec's in Lyon, Louis XV in Nice, el bulli/mugaritz and hopefully another 1-2 places.

Just wondering if there is any places I should go see on the way, what other places I should possibly eat at (either a good value lunch or cheapish (relatively speaking) 3 star dinner would be preferred) and any other general advice anyone can offer me!

Thanks everyone!

Hi, Welcome to the France Forum. We're a wonderfully helpful bunch and will do our best, but I just wanted to be sure before we plunged in that you had researched all your destinations (by resto and area here and searched specifically as well).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks everyone!

Hi, Welcome to the France Forum. We're a wonderfully helpful bunch and will do our best, but I just wanted to be sure before we plunged in that you had researched all your destinations (by resto and area here and searched specifically as well).

Yep... Did research... Just more confused now! lol!

I suppose the main question is what food related sights should I see on the way. For example, I am going to go to Roquefort to see the caves and eat cheese (and get fat). Planning on seeing Reims to drink Champagne and go to Pierre Herme's shop in Paris for more fattening stuff!

And as a side any particular restaurants I should try to balance out the one's that I am already seeing? I am looking for one in Bordeaux, one in Reims and possibly somewhere in Paris. Hostellerie de Plaisance in Bordeaux seems to be recommended quite often as well as La Tupina. What's the difference in price and quality? Les Crayeres in Reims seems to be the one that keeps popping up along with la vigneraie and au petit comptoir. Paris is interesting. I would like to have a nice dinner in Paris but don't want to blow the budget! Degustation's generally speaking are better value I have found. The only problem is they all seem much more expensive in Paris! I'd like to try somewhere that is either starred, has a high rating in the Gault Millau or is a local secret. Hopefully really romantic too!

In Reims, definitely hit Brasserie Boulingrin, it's not too expensive and has a HUGE list of NV Champagnes at decent prices. We had a 4-course lunch (forgot the price but it was quite decent) with a bottle of NV Billecart Salmon (40 Euros) that was lovely. Real old brasserie atmosphere, it's a rush at lunch but dinner can be leisurely. We started at 8pm and ended at 12:30am, hanging out with the waitresses and watching the sun go down (it sets very late, you're at quite the northern latitude).

I've never been to Les Crayeres, but I've heard wonderful things. Definitely do a search on the Forum for recent reviews.

There's so many places in Paris that I don't know where to start but to tell you to do a search and check the new map.

Cheers! :cool:

In Reims, definitely hit Brasserie Boulingrin, it's not too expensive and has a HUGE list of NV Champagnes at decent prices.  We had a 4-course lunch (forgot the price but it was quite decent) with a bottle of NV Billecart Salmon (40 Euros) that was lovely.  Real old brasserie atmosphere, it's a rush at lunch but dinner can be leisurely.  We started at 8pm and ended at 12:30am, hanging out with the waitresses and watching the sun go down (it sets very late, you're at quite the northern latitude).

I've never been to Les Crayeres, but I've heard wonderful things.  Definitely do a search on the Forum for recent reviews.

There's so many places in Paris that I don't know where to start but to tell you to do a search and check the new map.

Cheers!  :cool:

Is the Brasserie hard to find?

For the most part, no matter where you eat, you'll eat well. You will need to get a handle on what's available and reasonable for your travel itinerary. Budget for each day's meals: choose a specific restaurant for each day's dinner, reservations may be required. You can be flexible about where to lunch and snack.

And, don't waste belly space on non-French food, you can eat pizza and tacos back home...

I've never been to Les Crayeres, but I've heard wonderful things.  Definitely do a search on the Forum for recent reviews.

By my lights Les Crayeres is a once in a lifetime experience. Book a room (and dinner) and wake up the next morning to a broad expanse of lawn flowing down to the town and Cathedral.

Outside of Bali, I can't think of anything nicer!

For Paris, do some searching, we all have our favourites. I've already got my list for when Colette comes over (Spring, Ze, Les Anges, Repaire de....., Violin, db, Drouant, le Meurice, Magnolia, Bath's, Thierry Burlot, au Gourmand, Fables, l'Escarbille, Rech, Carte Blanche, Astier, l'Opportun). Oh my, oh my, so many choices, so little time.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris