• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with veal chuck...

Malkavian

So I find myself sitting here staring at a decently sized (almost 3 pounds) bone-in veal chuck with no clue what to do with it. Ordinarily I'd consign beef chuck to the crock pot for potroast but that seems a horrible thing to do to veal...is this cut tender enough to roast/grill or would it be best to braise...dismantle into smaller portions..i'm at a loss here so far.

I have the same problem, with a 3.5 lb veal shoulder steak purchased today. I like the idea of a slow tomato and garlic braise, tightly covered for 2 hours simmering. Probably consult Wolfert's S.W. book first, but sieved tomatoes, garlic and fresh herbs should do it for me, along with a sweet corn/arroz risotto.

Oooh - you'll get a delicious braise or stew! Brown it nicely on all sides, deglaze with some white wine and whatever else you're thinking of - I'd suggest some sauteed mushrooms and a little bit of sauteed onions, and some garlic - things that would go with the flavor of a reduced veal stock anyway - and let it braise or stew away. And something like fresh thyme and or rosemary. And tomatoes (though not too many) would also work wonderfully. You're aiming for a nice tender piece of falling off the bone meat, and a dark, syrupy glaze.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

So I find myself sitting here staring at a decently sized (almost 3 pounds) bone-in veal chuck with no clue what to do with it.

Roll it is some pork fat or lard and then sprinkle with your favourite herbs. Wrap it in alfoil -or make an alfoil bag and bake it at 180 for 2.5 hours. don't touch it and don't peek. At worst, just turn it over. remove it from the oven and allow it to sit for 20 mins before you unwrap it.....the meat will fall away from the bone and the sauce with it will make a wicked gravy.....mmmmm I can smell it from here....lol :biggrin:

Oooh - you'll get a delicious braise or stew!  Brown it nicely on all sides, deglaze with some white wine and whatever else you're thinking of - I'd suggest some sauteed mushrooms and a little bit of sauteed onions, and some garlic - things that would go with the flavor of a reduced veal stock anyway - and let it braise or stew away.  And something like fresh thyme and or rosemary.  And tomatoes (though not too many) would also work wonderfully.  You're aiming for a nice tender piece of falling off the bone meat, and a dark, syrupy glaze.

HMmmm :unsure: I just happen to have some cooked down homemade tomato sauce, and we have basil and rosemary out our ears here...

How long could I expect this to take braising? Reason I ask is that it's so bloody hot here, running the oven for long will make the downstairs of the house noticably warm.

Try braising it on top of the stove - just make sure to turn it every 30 - 45 minutes or so...shouldn't heat the house up quite as much, and can be every bit as delicious as doing it in the oven!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I am dong the same thing with mine, and I'll use a small Staub in a convection oven, after removing the bones. It will be sealed with a layer of foil under the lid. I think 45-60 minutes should do it, at 340F.