• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Display refrigerators

Lior

Hello all. I am sourcing a display refrigerator for chocolates. I have found patisserie ones, where the temp is around 4-8C. No info on humidity control. I found a greatsite in the UK-Norpe- which offers special ones for chocolate-15-18C and humidity control to 50%. I was wondering if anyone knows about this topic? What is used, can I use a patisserie one or not, any suggestions would be very helpful. These refrigerators are expensive so I want to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks,

Lior

Thank you so much!

I have gone over most of the threads you sent me. I loved the idea of mugs, plates etc with chocolate sayings on them, as my site (soon to be up) will have this also. But mugs will have to wait a bit - priority... Pre-prepared gifts/baskets is also a fantastic and logical idea.

I need a display that is a fridge. My husband thinks an upright one is better as it is bigger and less costly- one with a glass door. Someone suggested to get a used one and have a technician alter the temp and humidity control. It is hot and humid here during the long summer.

I am starting from the bottom of the ladder, from my basement (literally!) and hope to slowly work my way up. It is a bit scary, as I am not from a business background, but an academic one...

I will go back and review once again all the posts you sent me. Thanks again. I will let you know as it happens!!

Lior

I have two glass display coolers (for a different use), and my recommendation based on that comment is when you find a machine that you like, call your local refrigeration expert and ask them if they think they could remove the compressor and relocate it outside or up in your attic (if you have one). The heat caused by these things can be oppressive if not a pain. Doing this also eliminates the noise of the compressor.

I also have two horizontals, which I don't like and have been trying to sell forever. Apparently I'm not the only one who prefers upright.

Mine are True brand, but I don't know what will be available in your region.

Great suggestions Rob. I've been to your hometown Lior, and I remember how hot and humid it can get. My walk-in coolers/freezers have compressors on the roof, but all of my display coolers/freezer have the compressors are in the store. They give off a lot of noise, and if it's a warm day outside, our air conditioner has a hard time keeping up with the heat they pump out. If this is in your home though, it may not be an option.

I also prefer uprights - more space for product taking up less floor space.

Relocating the compressors is a great idea. When they built the house I work in, they dropped the compressors for the fridge and the freezer into the basement. When I have had to have work done on either of them, the workmen can get to them without disturbing the work in the kitchen and I do not have to deal with the heat, especially now that our daily average is running over a hundred F every day.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Well, thanks!! compressors in basements, on roofs!! I hardlyknow what a compressor is! A small display fridge of a meter long would let off so much heat? This is very important to know! And what about upright ones - I assume the same problem?

And Pam, you were here in Ashkelon?! May I ask when? I am certainly surprised! SO I guess I will look into uprights, I also want the storage space. I will have to find out more about the compressor issue. Are your uprights for pastry?

We just came back from a few days holiday in Eilat- and the hotel had these display fridges all over the place. The workers thought it odd that I was checking out the fridge -back and front, wrote down the manufacturers' names and etc. My husband even wanted to ask if they want to sell one, as most were empty!! Fridge obsession!

Thanks to all!!

Lior

As I sit in my store right now listening to the rumbling hum of the compressor (the thing that makes your case cool), and I feel the heat it is putting off - it is definitely an issue. The problem I have found is that I can't find anyone qualified to remove the compressor from a brand new machine - so they won't. If I had an older unit, then there are workers willing to do it. It has to do with the type of freon apparently. So I'm stuck with my humming sauna. Let us know what you find out.

Hello. An update on my fridge!

Well we just spoke to this technician. He also has a fridge business, new and used.He says that it is not o problem to "fix" the fridge. He puts in a different temp control-he says 14-18 C and that this is simple. Then he does something with the air circulation inorder to take care of the humidity, and keep it below 55%. He did it for someone here, who is happy with the results, so I think I will go on this. He thinks a good used one with a glass door will be good for me. We are going to meet with him. He also said he can install the compressor outside of the fridge, so wewill discuss this when we meet. As more info comes along Iwill let you all know. He is a mechanical engineer and seems to know the field. I hope it will all work out!

Thanks!!

• 8 months later...

Hey Illana,

I just joined up here. How did your frige issue get resolved? I was tracking infor on Marcolini and saw this shot of his "NEW YORK BOUTIQUE". Not the coolers built into the back wall.

gallery_59684_5939_11476.jpg

William

Hi William!

What a nice addition you will make to this great forum!! Welcome! Well my fridge saga:

I bought a new upright, glass door fridge-similar to the kind you would find cool drinks in stores. Inexpensive, relatively. I had the technician install a new temperature control and so it wavers around 13-17 C. When it is humid I have an issue with it. It is too humid inside-around 70%. I bought a humidity meter in order to keep check in my basement and fridge. So now I am looking to see if there is a humidity control unit for the fridge! I ignored this issue during the winter as conditions were perfect in my lab all winter. Now of course it is becoming a problem and I need to deal with it. I just have the air cond on now and so it is annoying! I contacted this wonderful man from Chile about it and he takes it all so seriously- he is just wonderful- Ihope we will find a solution! He has a million hobbies and is amazing!! Here

I will let you know when I work it all out!

Bye for now