• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish: opinions please

dbrociner

i loved dish when they first opened. i haven't been back in about 2 yrs however, and although i've heard they had some changes in the kitchen, i can't comment on how that might have affected the place.

i will say that it's not for uptight folk. it's a bit loud, your server may have tattoos and piercings and be pretty easy going. i'd say if those concepts offend you, stay away. for me, i think it's brilliant.

• 1 year later...
Anybody been to Dish recently? Are they still open?

if they are still open they've, for all intents and purposes, slid off the face of the earth. i've heard nothing about the place in years. i spoke with bruce (the original owner) not too long ago and apparently he has been out of there for some time now. it's anyone's guess what goes on behind those doors now, but i'd love to hear a report. anthony: make it so.

Glad someone brought this up as I really liked Dish but it was too much of a travel after a while for me. I like to drink & drive closer to home. :blink:

I always liked this place, a little too dark for me and the food off at times but a neat place.

Listen up fellow owners, another example of a well-rated restaurant that falls by the wayside without an explanation.

And for those who patronize our restaurants, if you see we're slacking and you enjoy eating in a particular place then speak up. We're not perfect. It's really tough to stay on top of everything. I don't consider it an insult if someone says something's not right. I can fix it.

I'm not sure why we never went back. We went three times about 4 years ago, and although the last time we were there it was so-so (food was ok, service was lousy), I don't remember ever hearing any bad reviews. We just stopped going. There are places that aren't as good that we keep going to. Strange...There is something annoying about that drive though, and I am a little closer than Lou...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

from what i remember, Dish's menu remained relatively static. additionally, food just as good at about the same price was readily available in NYC. for me, i think the charm of getting that type of food in that type of atmosphere in NJ wore off after a while. however, it probably also had to do with the fact that i lived in hoboken at the time, and it was a pain to get out there. well, it was a pain to get out there as opposed to eating in the city most nights anyway.

the moral of the story is: don't get lazy.

I go to Dish frequently. Mostly for the bar and martinis. Blue cheese olives. MMMMMMMM

Food is good. Clams dishes and pasta dishes are very well prepared and not overdone. They are simple. Tuna carpaccio well presented and simple.

The food and atmosphere are great for my tastes. Not overpriced in my opinion for what you get. I would recommend the place to a friend without hesitation.

The new chef seems to be doing a good job. The guys that ran it before were not really "restaurant" people. They sold it to the chef. I think it was a good move.

Nice place for a date.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

The guys that ran it before were not really "restaurant" people.  They sold it to the chef.  I think it was a good move.

they certainly ran the FOH very well. in fact, better than a large percentage of restaurants that i've been to.

i'm surprised to hear the word "simple" as a descriptor. has the menu changed drastically over the years since it first opened? i'd love to see a website or sample menu, but i don't think there is one. :sad:

Edited by tommy (log)

It's funny that this thread surfaced, ... I just happened to pass this place Sunday, and also wondered if it was still as good as it was when it opened several years back.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

i'm surprised to hear the word "simple" as a descriptor.  has the menu changed drastically over the years since it first opened?  i'd love to see a website or sample menu, but i don't think there is one.  :sad:

They do have a website: http://www.dish-nj.com

Not sure how up to date it is. I don't know why I haven't tried this place- I live right around the corner.

When I was at Dish about 5 years ago Chef Steve Santoro was putting our memorable food. He is no longer there.

Dish

40 Brighton Ave.

Passaic Park, NJ

973-773-9335

from their website:

"Dish Delivers"

-Rosie Saferstein

thanks for that link, laura. i had forgotten all about the website as it's been so long since i gave the place much thought.

the menu on the website reads very much the same as it did 3/4 years ago when i was last there.