• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebration dinner for a vegetarian

ellenesk

a restaurant i really liked (though i've only been there once) was gobo. i don't know if their locations vary in quality, but just in case i went to their west village location. unfortunately, i didn't eat out much in manhattan as a vegetarian (i went to gobo last summer, i think, after i had switched back to an omnivore diet), but another place i went to i wasn't too impressed by. i think it might vary by dish (as many restaurants do), but some things i really liked were the salt & pepper king oyster mushrooms (listed as a small dish on their website... you can find the menus by clicking "taste" at the top of their site..) and the yam & yucca fries (an appetizer). there's a new york times review of it here. i think it might be a matter of selection and such whether or not you're happy there, but i think it'll have a big enough range of foods for everyone, and the atmosphere will be more of the kind you'd want for a special dinner. hope that helps!

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Momofuku Ssam Bar. I'm kidding.

the all-vegetarian restaurants in NY generally suck.

you're better off going to a good restaurant that has vegetarian items.

with price no object the best vegetarian restaurants in NY are Per Se and Daniel.

under your price constraints....I'd suggest the Tasting Room or Hearth or Craft or Savoy or Blue Hill or something of that nature...

Devi?

Nathan's right, most "Vegetarian" restaurants in NY suck, the exception being South Indian Vegetarian -

Along those lines, I second the Devi recommendation - the meat-eaters will love the tandoor and curries, the breads are outstanding, and the vegetarian will have the best of biryani, pilaf, okra, masala, etc. etc.

For something different, may I suggest the restaurant "Aburiya Kinnosuke". You could do a private room or tatami room and the sake, shochu and cocktails available are wonderful. It is Japanese, so while there is great seafood, sashimi, chicken and beef, there are also a fair number of vegetarian items, from rice dishes with grated yam, to noodles, to vegetables to grill at the table, etc. etc., it's very interactive and a lot of fun - just make sure to tell them who the vegetarian is so nothing is ordered that has fish broth etc.