• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jowl Fat

Shel_B

Recently I heard the term used in reference to sausage making and for salumi in general. It was said that it's the best fat to use in sausages, salami, and similar meat. So, what is jowl fat and what makes it so good. BTW, the salami I've had that's been made with jowl fat was really very, very good.

Shel

... Shel

Saying it is the best is incorrect. It is the best for certain salami. Depending on the type, region or any other factor, jowl fat should or should not be used.

Now, having said that, jowl fat is good for certain salame as it has some meat striations and is a "hard" fat, which grinds nicely. Wish i could find jowls locally. What odd is i can find just about ANY other piece of the pig. I wonder what they do with the jowls at the ethnic grocer i go to!!

Does anyone know how to say pork jowls in Spanish?