• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two days...need suggestions

Buechner

I will be traveling to NYC this weekend with my mom and need a few restaurant suggestions. I have done some searching, but feel overwhelmed. I don't want anything high end, just a few great meals on a budget. Some that have been recommened to me have been Lupa, Bamiyam and Fatty Crab. I am looking for things that are not really "heavy" more light due to health issues. Also if there are any great cafes or dessert stops that I should make I would love to hear about those. In addition are there some great places to grab salads/salad bars for lunch. We are staying in midtown. Also does anyone know if Yolato is open of Park yet? Thanks :smile:

Any suggestions for what to order/avoid at Lupa? Also, are there some places that are known to do fish entrees really well for under $20? I have read some great things about momofuku are there particular dishes that stand out? Also, I noticed there are 2 locations, is one better? We will just be in the city for dinner on Saturday and Sunday evening. Are things slower on Sundays? I would really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks so much!

at Lupa, get the ricotta gnocchi. the menu changes so I can't be more specific than that. whatever bucatini prep they're doing is also always good. ditto for cured meats.

either Momofuku is great for dinner. only Momofuku Noodle for lunch. menus change all the time. check the relevant threads for more detail on recent offerings.

fish entrees for under $20 is difficult. Bondi Road is pretty decent and the entrees are in that range. Oriental Garden is a possibility.

edit: Sunday night is the best time to eat dinner. on Saturday, anywhere will be easier go get into on the early side...i.e. before 8:30 or 9.

Edited by Nathan (log)

There aren't many, but there are a few good options for fish entrees under $20. Craftbar has fish entrees right around that price range. I also love the fish moilee from Bricklane, but I'm not sure if that counts. Tides has entrees around $20 and just over.

At Momofuku Ssam you should order the artichokes, the scallops and the hamachi. You can't really go wrong with anything, though. The Benton's ham is great, but I'm not sure if it's on the menu right now. And the chawanmushi. Ok, this is making me hungry. Just go- it may be the best meal you'll have in NY.

Stopping into WD-50 for dessert is a great way to experience the restaurant without paying the full tab. Alex Stupak has been turning out some really excellent stuff since he's settled in at the restaurant.

Tides is a tiny, tiny restaurant on the Lower East Side that serves great seafood and is probably the most affordable non-oyster bar seafood type place. and then you could go for dessert at WD- 50. That's a great plan as suggested above because Tides does not have good desserts and WD-50 is not very far from Tides.

and while I would take my mom to Tides and to WD-50, I am not sure I would take her to momofuku ssam. It's just a little bit too out there. They play loud music, the seats have no backs, it's in the east village. You have to be a little bit adventurous and it would just push my mom a little too far, but then yours might go for it.

Hi,

Tia Po is a tiny Basque tapas bar on 10th Ave just north of 22nd St. Nice wines by the glass, smaller inexpensive plates. The specials are usually the best bet. All of the food is wonderful.

No reservations, but you can usually find a place at the bar.

Tim

Thanks for the suggestions. Any opinions on the following: Frank, Le Zie, Taksim and Alta? Luckily, my mom is really open to trying any type of food. Also, any great places to pick up a dessert (baked good) for our hotel?

Jenny

Taksim no longer has a downtown location, FYI.

Frank and Le Zie are both neighborhood restaurants, and IMHO not the best of their respective neighborhoods. As an example, though Frank is practically outside my front door, I usually take the walk over to Barbone (on 12th and B) or pay the slight extra cash for Five Points (Great Jones between Lafayette and Bowery), except for times when I'm unbelievably lazy.

Alta is a fave of mine. Excellent house cocktails (depending on the bartender to some extent, although all of them seem to be able to execute what's on the list), a great and well-priced wine-by-the-glass list, and IMO lovely, well-priced food. Though it's arguably smaller plates for smaller prices, I usually don't need to spend more than about $25 per person on food, and with larger groups that drops. While I am a big Tia Pol fan, I have begun to like Alta better for an all-round small plates experience, although it is substantially less traditional (and I thought Tia Pol was Catalan, no? Or am I misremembering the pan tomacat on the menu?).

One note of caution: All of the joints you mention are LOUD. I sit at the bar at Alta if I'm with only one or two companions specifically because I can't stand the noise (and to nibble away at their bottle of Amer Picon! :) ) Frank is a madhouse at dinner with the crowds, and I remember Le Zie being the same (I haven't been there in ages). If your mother is like my parents, this could be unworkable for her.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

As for eating plan: I would absolutely, positively make reservations for Saturday night if possible, although many of the places mentioned upthread don't take them. Again, I don't know how much of a crowd person your mother is, but I'd try to hit dinner on the early side if you want a calm experience on Saturday. Momofuku Ssam Bar is a positive pleasure to visit if you stop in at, say, 5:30pm, and a madhouse if you try going after 7:30. Likewise with Alta, although the crowd usually takes later to kick in there (figure if you're in by 7:30-8pm, you'll be fine). Lupa's likely to be crowded pretty much any time after 6, although it is at least civilized on Saturday nights if you have a reservation.

I would consider going with Chinese if you want to do interesting seafood for reasonable prices. Oriental Garden on Elizabeth, and (my favorite) Fuleen Seafood on Division, are both excellent options. Bondi Road is run by wonderfully friendly people (although the decor is a bit, er, bizarre) and does have nice, reasonably priced food.

And I second the recommendation of going somewhere for dinner and then to WD-50 for dessert (I often go for dessert and cocktails, and was once lucky enough to be bartended at by Junior Merino!). In fact, you could make a both civilized and festive Saturday evening by hitting MSB for dinner early, and hitting WD-50 (with reservations) for dessert. (Hmm... may have just figured out my plans for tomorrow...)

Sunday is generally a much, much easier time to do dinner. Ssam Bar still gets crowded, but pretty much all the other options are thinned out by a good bit.

[EDIT: Unless your mother is a regular habitue of crowded general-admission rock shows, I'd avoid Momofuku Noodle Bar for evenings. Unlike Ssam Bar, there are ONLY stools as opposed to seats, and the music is BLARING.]

Edited by Mayur (log)

Alta is one of my favorite restaurants. It's in an old townhouse and can be a little bit hard to find as it is underground so look for it. It's warm and inviting, the food is good, the sangria is good as well. Space your order of food if you decide to go there because sometimes the food comes out all at once and your meal can feel a little rushed. but a definite recommend.

Frank is cash only and very crowded and loud. But I tend to like it. Le Zie can also be very close.

and I like the Little Pie company for desserts if you are in Grand Central, I'm sure others can suggest many other places to pick up something sweet to eat.

I'm pretty sure that the discussion is about Alta, the pretty good WV tapas place....which is not in an old townhouse and isn't underground. its on 7th avenue just north of Bleecker on the west side of the street.

I second its recommendation though.

Edited by Nathan (log)

of these?  easy.  Lupa and either of the Momofukus.

I wouldn't even think about any of the others except as backups...

Nathan any suggestions on what to order at Lupa or Momofuku Ssam ? Thanks for your help. Any opinions on Balthazar Bakery?

of these?  easy.  Lupa and either of the Momofukus.

I wouldn't even think about any of the others except as backups...

Nathan any suggestions on what to order at Lupa or Momofuku Ssam ? Thanks for your help. Any opinions on Balthazar Bakery?

the baked goods from the Balthazar Bakery are available through a little door west of the restaurant itself. they're good as far as that stuff goes (I don't have a sweet tooth). CeciCela a block east is also very popular for baked goods. so is Payard uptown.

as for Lupa, the menu is seasonal. off the menu specials are always good. pastas (as with any Batali joint) are superb. the ricotta gnocchi is perfect. cured meats are great...as are contorini.

for either of the Momofukus....all of the seasonal dishes (the menus change pretty much weekly) are great. the artichokes they're doing at Ssam Bar are superb. all fish dishes are great. anything pork is good...get the pork buns at either place.

Baked goods at Balthazar are fair not earthshattering. Never had CecicCela so I can't comment. If you are in SoHo you might also want to pop in Dean & Deluca, they have a huge dessert counter. But be forewarned, I am not sure they have the highest turnover so sometimes things are not the freshest, but they are beautiful. The last time I was in which was a few months ago (or maybe longer) they had one girl bakery cookies from brooklyn and a lot of other stuff from other local new york bakeries all in one location. Plus, it really is a beautiful store and worth wandering through for a few minutes.

and don't forget about going to WD-50 for dessert if you are into sweets. The desserts there are very unusual and excellent and different. It won't be your standard New York Cheescake, but will be a New York cheescake deconstructed and made from ingredients you've never heard of and presented in unusual ways. Totally worth it.

Oh and you may want to consider Chikalicious for dessert. I've never been because the hours are unusual and when they are open the line can be longish, but it is supposed to be great. It's near both Momofukus. But I am pretty sure it isn't open on Sundays. Make sure you check out their hours before venturing over to it.

Lastly, Alta is on West 10th streets just off of 6th avenue. to whomever said it wasn't, maybe you are thinking of Las Ramblas.

I'm pretty sure that the discussion is about Alta, the pretty good WV tapas place....which is not in an old townhouse and isn't underground.  its on 7th avenue just north of Bleecker on the west side of the street.

Erm, no. I believe that you are thinking about Tasca. Alta (54 West 10th Street, in a townhouse with a slightly below-street entrance) is a different animal entirely.

I'd go with Alta over Lupa, myself, but I feel like Lupa hasn't been the same since Mark Ladner took off to Del Posto. Either are good choices. Momofuku Ssam Bar is a must; I'd skip Noodle Bar for the comfort issue I mentioned abovethread.

I'm pretty sure that the discussion is about Alta, the pretty good WV tapas place....which is not in an old townhouse and isn't underground.  its on 7th avenue just north of Bleecker on the west side of the street.

Erm, no. I believe that you are thinking about Tasca. Alta (54 West 10th Street, in a townhouse with a slightly below-street entrance) is a different animal entirely.

I'd go with Alta over Lupa, myself, but I feel like Lupa hasn't been the same since Mark Ladner took off to Del Posto. Either are good choices. Momofuku Ssam Bar is a must; I'd skip Noodle Bar for the comfort issue I mentioned abovethread.

What would you suggest at Barbone? I am definitely going to momofuku...probably Sunday night and just need to decided on the other one. I would like to have some good Italian that is not really heavy. Our chances of getting into Lupa are probably not too good so I need a back-up plan. Nathan, what would be your next choice if Lupa doesn't work out?

Edited by Buechner (log)

Off the current menu: the watermelon salad, asparagus fries, roasted tomatoes, lamb's brains, chestnut agnolotti, garganelli, and braised veal short ribs are all excellent. The pasta tasting is, IMHO, pretty good, but you really should just go to Babbo if you want that kind of carb blowout. :)

Go to Il Posto Accanto. It's techically a wine bar but the food is generally excellent and the people are really wonderful. It gets crowded and doesn't take reservations, but it's a staple for me. Try the polpettine, the scialliateli, the lasagne (if they have it or you can convince them to give it to you), the salad with asparagus that I forget the name of and the squid. All of the pastas are good and some are excellent. It's also my favorite spot for brunch.

I've had bad experiences the last two times I was at Lupa, but they were long ago.

Go to Il Posto Accanto.  It's techically a wine bar but the food is generally excellent and the people are really wonderful.  It gets crowded and doesn't take reservations, but it's a staple for me.  Try the polpettine, the scialliateli, the lasagne (if they have it or you can convince them to give it to you), the salad with asparagus that I forget the name of and the squid.  All of the pastas are good and some are excellent.  It's also my favorite spot for brunch.

I've had bad experiences the last two times I was at Lupa, but they were long ago.

I love squid. One of my favorite italian dishes is seppie di inziamo. Can you give me a price range on things...also I assume they don't take reservations? Have you tried Le Zie?

What would you suggest at Barbone? I am definitely going to momofuku...probably Sunday night and just need to decided on the other one. I would like to have some good Italian that is not really heavy. Our chances of getting into Lupa are probably not too good so I need a back-up plan. Nathan, what would be your next choice if Lupa doesn't work out?

for Italian in that price range?

for Batali -- Otto or the enoteca at Del Posto (which has an excellent prix fixe deal).

other possibilities: Peasant. Inoteca. my meal at Barbone was so-so but I've heard enough good things to give it another try. haven't been to Il Posto