• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Corn Cobs ...

Shel_B

when I lived in Panama my friend used to boil cut up the kernelless cobs in whole milk with a little sugar (she used the dark cone sugar but brown works fine) then added some vanilla and chilled it until it was very very cold

it was really very good

she called it "chicha de maize" (sp?)

there were chicha de arroz (ice cold rice water with milk vanilla and sugar) chica de avena (oatmeal and milk drink same thing) and fruit chicha's of all kinds actually I loved the pina that was made with pinapple skins and rice water with milk...sometimes there was cinnamon in them ..

when I went to Mexico and ordered a "Chicha" (thinking my grasp of the language was near perfect at that time :rolleyes: ) .....I got a very strange look ..my friend was rolling on the floor laughing because a "chicha" in Mexico is NOT a cold drink!

anyway back on topic ..try this! it is summer and this is nice drink I promise!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I think "chicha" in Panama is "horchata" in Mexico. It is a big fave of mine, though making it from scratch is a bit of a drag. I am going to try rice milk next time to avoid the problem of straining out the solids. You'd think that would be easy enough, but it turns out that those teensy little bits of rice can pass through very fine mesh. You almost think you should use a camping filter, the kind that filters down to 3 microns, except it's too slow. Horchata is the absolute best thing to drink with spicy Mexican food like tacos on the street with roasted jalapenos--it takes away the heat thanks to the milk. On the beach, however, with a plate of shrimp in front of me, I prefer cerveza.

I am going to try it next time with pineapple skins because I think that sounds fabulous. How do you deal with getting the pineapple flavor out of the skins--is it heated and then strained, or left to infuse for a certain amount of time? We eat a lot of pineapple, even here in Colorado, and I always have trimmings to put into the compost. How much better to make this instead. The squirrels get a lot of it--we are apparently raising a strain of squirrels that are fond of tropical fruits. Watching one of them carry off a mango pit is pretty amusing.

N.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Are asking about cobs that you have cut the corn from or cobs you have eaten the corn from? Last thing I would want to do is use/save a product that had saliva all over it.

Your peanut butter has mouse saliva in it as well as thousands of bug particles. Your mint has bee and fly saliva on it. If you're worried, just rinse them before boiling -- which would also destroy any remaining saliva, anyway.

Guess you're not interested in any recipes for spit gravy.

I think "chicha" in Panama is "horchata" in Mexico.  It is a big fave of mine, though making it from scratch is a bit of a drag. I am going to try rice milk next time to avoid the problem of straining out the solids. You'd think that would be easy enough, but it turns out that those teensy little bits of rice can pass through very fine mesh. You almost think you should use a camping filter, the kind that filters down to 3 microns, except it's too slow. Horchata is the absolute best thing to drink with spicy Mexican food like tacos on the street with roasted jalapenos--it takes away the heat thanks to the milk. On the beach, however, with a plate of shrimp in front of me, I prefer cerveza.

I am going to try it next time with pineapple skins because I think that sounds fabulous. How do you deal with getting the pineapple flavor out of the skins--is it heated and then strained, or left to infuse for a certain amount of time? We eat a lot of pineapple, even here in Colorado, and I always have trimmings to put into the compost. How much better to make this instead. The squirrels get a lot of it--we are apparently raising a strain of squirrels that are fond of tropical fruits. Watching one of them carry off a mango pit is pretty amusing.

N.

Yes it is horchata I found that out after the laughter stopped! the one thing I did with the chicha de arroz was to use Crema de arroz they have it in Hispanic markets it is very smooth rice powder/flour that I think may have been precooked? it works perfectly ....

for the pineapple just use organic ones if you can or wash the other kind really well then strip off the skin and drop it in some rice milk and simmer it slowly then add some sugar to taste and chill it down awesome drink...

the skin of the pineapple it gives off a wonderful essence of this fruit ..you can not get any other way ..

I also do this to make arroz con pina you just drop the skins in boiling water when you have the flavor you want (15-10 min or so) strain off the pineapple skins ..cool the water down then make your rice as usual fantastic rice!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

There is a recipe for Corncob Wine in the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook which is a recent book (late 2006 I believe.) It's a simple recipe..and a good cookbook as well.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo