• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you always have on hand?

blurby

Do chipotle peppers in adobo keep well after they're out of the can?

Transfered to a Tupperware-ish storage container and refrigerated, I've used them after 2 or 3 months and they've been fine. Or, more importantly, I'VE been fine after eating them.

Back to the original topic:

Onions

Tomatoes (canned & fresh)

Garlic

Cheese of all sorts, bleu, feta, Cheddar, Monterey jack

Lemons/Limes

Chicken stock or broth base

Butter

Olive oil

Vinegars (balsamic, red wine, white wine, cider, specialty flavors.....)

Multitudinous fresh & dried herbs and spices (usually always fresh basil, cilantro & Italian parsley)

Capers

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Goose and/or Duck fat

homemade Bacon

homemade Panchetta

smoked cayenne from our garden

sourdough starter

Pasta (dried and fresh)

Arborio rica

tomatoes (canned, fresh, italian paste)

eggs

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Garlic, onions, fresh herbs, olive oil.

Muy importante: good butter, preferably unsalted. Lurpak is my go-to of choice.

Wine. Remember the adage: if you wouldn't drink it, then don't cook with it.

Chicken stock, beef stock, fish fumet, vegetable stock. I make one type once every other week and use that as a basis for just about everything from sauces to cooking pasta and rice. Check out the eGCI course for stockmaking that El Gordo teaches. It's a keeper.

Since finding this forum I shall always have duck confit and onion confit in the fridge and as a stock ingredient it has to be Worcestershire sauce.

If I had a big enough freezer I`d never eat chicken again, just Pheasant, IMHO the best white fowl meat.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Since finding this forum I shall always have duck confit and onion confit in the fridge and as a stock ingredient it has to be Worcestershire sauce.

If I had a big enough freezer I`d never eat chicken again, just Pheasant, IMHO the best white fowl meat.

Lemons

Limes

Three Bean Salad to go on the nightly salad

Edited by afoodieslife (log)