• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are you having a hard time pronouncing

Don Giovanni

wines and regions...I am...so I found this it helped me maybe it can help you...have fun !!!

Click On Me

Click On Me

Click On Me

Click On Me

Click On Me

Edited by Don Giovanni (log)

• 2 weeks later...

wines and regions...I am...so I found this it helped me maybe it can help you...have fun !!!

Click On Me

Click On Me

Click On Me

Click On Me

Click On Me

bump... :raz:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
... I found this it helped me maybe it can help you...have fun !!!
Thanks for posting, Don. This is the Frequently Asked Pronunciations subject. Before internet, guidance was in the backs of conscientious wine books. I think the best, most definitive pointers today are those that link to a sound recording, or use the International Phonetic Alphabet (standard in good mutlilingual dictionaries) which in turn has standard reference pronunciations online.

This favorite topic of food-and-wine fora has a history on eG too, like the long and popular Food Pronunciation Guide thread, which includes many wine words such as Veltliner. (That thread also sheds incidental light on the emotional baggage of pronunciation issues: please don't laugh at this, don't blame me, I feel both smug and unbearably stupid, etc.)