• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going rate for a Sous Chef in DC?

I am being considered for a Sous Chef position at Komi. I've been talking with Chef Johnny through email the past week and have set up an interview for mid July when I get back from my 3 months in Europe. Now, coming from both California and NYC, Im curious if anyone would happen to know what a Sous Chef is getting paid in the DC area at a comparable restaurant. Salary negotiations always make me a little nervous in a new city, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

I am being considered for a Sous Chef position at Komi. I've been talking with Chef Johnny through email the past week and have set up an interview for mid July when I get back from my 3 months in Europe. Now, coming from both California and NYC, Im curious if anyone would happen to know what a Sous Chef is getting paid in the DC area at a comparable restaurant. Salary negotiations always make me a little nervous in a new city, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Chef Johnny

Don't know if this helps or not:

Although Washington restaurants are among some of the finest and priciest in the nation, chefs' salaries here are actually below national norms. The average salary for an executive chef here is $71,666, according to a recent salary survey by StarChefs.com. The national average is $75,596, according to estimates by the online industry magazine.

Locally, the range for line cooks is somewhere between $12 to $15 an hour, chefs and restaurateurs say. "I have some cooks who have to work two jobs," says Ann Cashion, the chef and co-owner of Cashion's Eat Place in Adams Morgan and Johnnie's Half Shell on P Street. "It's very common."

Full article here.

Survey is here. . Unfortunately, they don't seem to break the DC numbers out, but it might get you a feel.

Good luck! I had dinner there they other day and it was spectacular.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I appreciate the reply. I did a little research as well and only got some very general numbers and statistics; national average and such. I was hoping to find another sous chef or exec. or owner on here from the DC area that could give a ball park figure.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA