• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dakota Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

Pam R

I will be in Fargo and Grand Forks (and maybe Detroit Lakes) in the next couple of weeks and I'd love some restaurant suggestions. I'd love a non-chain, non-burger choice. Please. I'm willing to cross state lines and head to East GF or Moorhead. :wink:

I'm hoping that including Fargo will mean a flood of suggestions will come pouring in.

Though I won't be going anywhere else on this trip, feel free to include any other suggestions in the state (or Northwestern Minnesota).

I will be in Fargo and Grand Forks  (and maybe Detroit Lakes) in the next couple of weeks and I'd love some restaurant suggestions.  I'd love a non-chain, non-burger choice.  Please. I'm willing to cross state lines and head to East GF or Moorhead.  :wink:

Yes, we have a topic on Grand Forks Dining - without any good suggestions.  I'm hoping that including Fargo will mean a flood of suggestions will come pouring in.

Though I won't be going anywhere else on this trip, feel free to include any other suggestions in the state (or Northwestern Minnesota).

I've forwarded your query to my sister, who's in the restaurant/deli/catering business in Fargo. I'm sure she'll have some good suggestions.

SB (liked the "flood" pun. You've been there before this time of year? :wink:)

Edited by srhcb (log)

Excellent. Thanks - I'm looking forward to her list. I haven't spent a lot of time in Fargo since I lived in Crookston during the flood of the century and our weekend trips to GF turned into trips to Fargo.

Do you ever get out there to visit - and if so, where do you eat?

I will be in Fargo and Grand Forks  (and maybe Detroit Lakes) in the next couple of weeks and I'd love some restaurant suggestions.  I'd love a non-chain, non-burger choice.  Please. I'm willing to cross state lines and head to East GF or Moorhead.  :wink:

Yes, we have a topic on Grand Forks Dining - without any good suggestions.  I'm hoping that including Fargo will mean a flood of suggestions will come pouring in.

We've eaten at Paradiso in Grand Forks a couple times. I love their food. They also have one in Fargo. We have also eaten at Dave's BBQ. I can't remember the exact name. Will have to look it up for you. Also, in Fargo they have Outback Steakhouse which we haven't tried yet but they are always good as we've eaten there many times in LA. Hubby's co-worker just gave him a name of a place for us to try next. I'll have to check on that place. The Bronze something.

Here's my Sister's report:

The nicest restaurant in GF is Sanders, but it may not be open for lunch.

Green Market (where she works) at 623 NP Ave Fargo is a deli/takeout but does have places to sit & offers beer/wine. They specialize in local products, organic products, & vegetarian & vegan items also (today's sandwiches were smoked salmon & pickled asparagus with caper cream cheese; roast ND beef with horseradish; egg salad with roasted red peppers; tuna wrap with kalamata olives; all on homemade bread, plus a grilled WI cheddar on sundry tomato bread) Ask for Marcy. :wink:

Fancy places in FM area is Sarellos in Moorhead or Littlefields in West Fargo

Thai Orchid in Fargo authentic, as is Juanos in Fargo.

A new placein DL is the LOdge, but she hasn't been there yet.

SB (that ought to give you a few ideas :smile: )

It might help hone the responses to this form of question: "where's a good place to eat in (name of location here)" if posters ruled in or ruled out chains. Dave's BBQ, for example, is a chain, as is the Outback. Wouldn't occur to me to name 'em, since I'd

assume the poster was able to find 'em in the phone book.

If you have a coupon for it, you don't want it.

It might help hone the responses to this form of question: "where's a good place to eat in (name of location here)" if posters ruled in or ruled out chains.  Dave's BBQ, for example, is a chain, as is the Outback.  Wouldn't occur to me to name 'em, since I'd

In this case, Pam did specify "I'd love a non-chain, non-burger choice. Please."

It might help hone the responses to this form of question: "where's a good place to eat in (name of location here)" if posters ruled in or ruled out chains.  Dave's BBQ, for example, is a chain, as is the Outback.  Wouldn't occur to me to name 'em, since I'd

In this case, Pam did specify "I'd love a non-chain, non-burger choice. Please."

Then again, there are local and regional chains and franchises that might be better than average, or even local examples of national chains that are particularly well run or managed, and popular with the locals.

In the case of Fargo, I know they have a Green Mill franchise. (Twin Cities based), which makes a pretty damn good version of a Chicago-style pizza, which I wouldn't hesitiate to recommend.

SB :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions. Due to poor planning on my part, I won't get to Fargo - but will be in Grand Forks for a few days. (Fargo suggestions are still appreciated - I'll get there this year, I'm sure.)

Paradiso - Great suggestion. Haven't been there in years.

Sanders - I forgot about it! I wanted to try it years ago - this may be the time.

Green Mill - There is one in GF, though I've never been.

There is a slim chance that I'll still make it to DL for an afternoon, so I'll keep the Lodge in mind.

Has anybody been to the Riverbend Supper Club, the Blue Moose or Whitey's in the last 5 years?

I did ask for non-chain restaurants, but I'm also aware that some of them may be the best options in the area. I can always hope. A local or regional chain may be a good choice.

Wow, I didnt know this many people had ever been to North Dakota. As a ND native I can help you with some recommendations. I dont get to Grand Forks at all, so I cant help you there, but Fargo..... Littlefields in West Fargo is great, high school friend is the chef as well, never been dissapointed. Saffron is delicious curry. Hodo or Hotel Donaldson is great (only had apps but scenery rocks, also best hotel rooms in the state). Space Aliens is a local chain with better barbecue than famous daves (founded by my father too) and they serve my cheesecakes (I own a bakery in Bismarck). Paradiso is horrid "mexican" food in my opinion. Yuki Hana is pretty good (great for ND) sushi. Fargo is a great food city compared to Bismarck we are at least 10 years behind, diversity is not a word ever used in Bismarck to describe food. Give some feedback on what you think of the food.

Well, gosh, it's been a LONG time since I posted anything, but I have to jump in here--even though it sounds like now you're not going to be in Fargo after all! Fargo's been absolutely innundated with chain crap over the last decade, following the population boom. But I'll second (and third, and fourth) the recommendation of the Hotel Donaldson, or the HoDo, on Broadway in downtown Fargo. They have an innovative menu and good drinks/taps. Great decor, too. My Mom and I always go there for lunch when we visit--they live in Moorhead. Definitely check them out next year when you go through there.

Avoid the Old Broadway in downtown Fargo--it's not a chain, and it used to ROCK when I was growing up there, but now it's lame, lame, lame. It's like they're trying to be TGIFriday's (shudder).

Best,

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

I really wish I was getting to Fargo. But it's not going to happen this time.

Mr. Delicious - North Dakota is a great get-away place for Manitobans. I pass through or visit a few times a year, so I'll be able to use these recommendations in the future, as will other members.

I've seen Space Aliens in Fargo, and had no idea what it was. I never stopped in, assuming it was just another chain out to catch the kid market.

Pam, Space Aliens is definately worth checking out, especially if there are kids with you. If you get time Bismarck is also worth your time, I own a dessert bakery, and there is also some great food here as well. Next time I get to Canada, maybe for a trailer park boys comedy show or for a fishing trip, I will have to get recommendations for some food in regina or saskatoon, I have never eaten anything exciting up there, and it gets even worst the farther north you go. Its been interesting to see the increase in Canadians with the change in value of the dollar.

True - sorry. But then she got a series of chain suggestions. Specifically Daves' which we first encountered at Taste of Madison, where it's chain-ness was not obvious. Somewhat disappointed later on, when we went to one in ND and experienced the usual chain service, beverage list, and other chain attributes. Oh, well.

On an unrelated ND note, I was flying over the state once, seated next to a woman who had the whole place as her territory, selling cosmetics. She characterized it as the "giant concrete cow state." Most cement cows per capital she'd ever seen. Can any one confirm or deny?

If you have a coupon for it, you don't want it.

True - sorry. But then she got a series of chain suggestions. Specifically Daves' which we first encountered at Taste of Madison, where it's chain-ness was not obvious. Somewhat disappointed later on, when we went to one in ND and experienced the usual chain service, beverage list, and other chain attributes. Oh, well.

On an unrelated ND note, I was flying over the state once, seated next to a woman who had the whole place as her territory, selling cosmetics. She characterized it as the "giant concrete cow state." Most cement cows per capital she'd ever seen. Can any one confirm or deny?

There is the worlds largest holstein just west of Bismarck in New Salem (Salem Sue) and there are also a few other large animal sculptures; buffalo in Jamestown, walleye near lake sakakawea, and a turltle in turtle lake.

• 9 months later...

My brother has just been stationed in minot ND and asked me if i knew places to dine out. I figured if any one could help it would be the egullet crew.

Thanks in advance! (I've also put this on the heartland)

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

• 4 years later...

I'm going to be staying in downtown Bismarck for just one night next week. Is there anywhere worth dining proximate to the Radisson Hotel?

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 4 months later...

We went to TnT's diner in West Fargo recently after seeing it on Roadfood as a local favorite. It was good! It's old Heartland comfort food - we had roast beef and Swedish meatballs. I've been craving good old meat and potatoes whenever I think about it.

And the server was probably the friendliest one I've ever had!

Also, Tom Hanks is a fan :)