• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcupine cake

aweigl

Has anyone ever heard of this almond nine-layer cake, likely Polish in origin?

My father raves about a cake by this name that his mother used to make. The recipe appears lost. I'm trying to recreate the cake to surprise my father.

Here's what I have to go on: nine-layer white or yellow cake with butter almond frosting. She put almond slivers all over the outside of the cake, hence the name, and discs of almond brittle on the top. I have googled the name of the cake but turned up no recipes.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

try looking for "hedgehog" cake and see I found this recipe that sounds sort of what you are looking for ..I know what you mean it is a very good cake and I think it is commonly called "hedgehog" instead of "porcupine" ..but I could be wrong check it out and see

http://www.themediadrome.com/content/recip...dgehog_cake.htm

good luck!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Are you sure it's not 'pinecone' cake? I have several cookbooks with pictures of what you describe, with the almonds done 2 ways...either slivered and pointing to the tip (the cake is teardropped shaped) or left whole with skins also with tips all pointing to the top, like the shape of a pinecone. I can find them later if you'd like and give you more detail.

Are you sure it's not 'pinecone' cake?  I have several cookbooks with pictures of what you describe, with the almonds done 2 ways...either slivered and pointing to the tip (the cake is teardropped shaped) or left whole with skins also with tips all pointing to the top, like the shape of a pinecone. I can find them later if you'd like and give you more detail.

Maybe my father has the name wrong. That may make this a lot easier. Any more detail you can provide would be very helpful.