• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef, Fat and Guiness

Porthos

Within the cooking I do for my Rennaisance Faire guild I have a loyal following for my corned beef. I don't do anything extra special. I buy up pre-packaged corned beef when it is on sale and put in in the ol' deep freezer. When I make a batch I cook 3 packages of meat the following way: the thawed meat is put on a rack so that is is barely in contact with the 3 cans of Guiness Stout and a bit of water I use for the cooking liquid. I put in the spice packets that comes with the meat, put the lid on and then slow-cook it (just enough heat to generate steam) overnight. I transport it to the faire site and then cut it up into approx 1 1/2 inch chunks, put it in a foil-covered pan and reheat it and then it is served by a server carrying around a bowl of it and offering it to the already-dining guild members (we serve several things this way each day).

I have had a few of my friends there tell me that they don't like corned beef but they like mine. Since I'm not doing anything that special I've wondered what is different. Here is the potentail ah-ha moment. I was trimming fat and gristle off of the BBQ tri-tip meat that was part of my lunch and I realized that when I cut up the corned beef I trim off the fat. I just don't handle the texture of cooked animal fat and trim it off my ham, beef, whatever and so after cooking I trim it off.

Do any of you think removing the fat is the difference? Or should I continure to ponder (but not too seriously) what makes this method agreeable to my friends (some of whom jokingly bow to me for making the corned beef)?

- - - - - -

My apologies to the Texas section of this forum for starting this thread in the wrong area. Porthos.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

seeing as the fat is where the flavor is, i'd say it isn't the difference. If anything, you're taking taste and moisture away. My guess is the Guiness, but i'm more familiar with Jewish style corned beef and it sounds like you're dealing with the Irish variety boyo.

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com

...  and it sounds like you're dealing with the Irish variety boyo.

Yes, I am going after the Irish take on it. The feel of the Faire is supposed to be Elizabethen England circa 1590 more or less. We actually have a separate guild that represents the Irish.

A side note on Jewish-style delis. When I married my sweet wife some 29 years ago there was a truly great deli in Anaheim, CA called Lindel's on Lincoln. They had garlic-cured pickles that were to die for. They've been out of business for over 20 years and my wife and I still mourn it's passing.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;