• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rutts Hutt - What???

Sheri-FB

Took my hot dog afficionado in-laws to Rutts Hutt this weekend and have to say it was one of the most average hot dog experiences we have had (in contrast to our last hot dog trip to Syds, which was a big hit). I am sure it was in large part an issue of too high expectations, but the flavor of the dogs did not stand out (they were fine, nothing special) and, most disappointingly, the texture and color were weak (light pink and slightly mushy - whereas we expected crisp crinkled dogs from the oil frying). Our second batch (which we asked for well done) was better, but still not worth the cholesterol. I will say that the house relish lived up to its reputation and salvaged the meal/experience. Given all of the good press here and in the NY Times, the question is, what am I missing? :unsure:

OK - so perhaps mushy is an exaggeration - I was just afraid of the responses I would get if I used the more accurate description of light pink and soft. Whatever, it just had no discernable texture.

in the 15 years that i've been going there, they've always been consistent. no texture, again, is a very very strange way of describing them, especially considering they are deep fried.

what does the color have to do with it really? they use a popular national brand, and one that is no doubt used by other top notch hot dog places. syd's grills theirs if i'm not mistaken. maybe you just prefer the grilled flavor and color over fried?

sorry you had a bad experience. most find it quite good.

I guess I am just a grill dog kinda gal. I will end with a final note that the reviews are misleading - see following excerpt from the NY Times July 3, 2002:

"Even better is Rutt's Hut, a time-warped tavern in Clifton, N.J. There's a

takeout counter on one side of the building, but I advise hunkering down in

Rutt's dimly lighted tap room, where the bartender barks out orders to the

kitchen in a clipped Greek accent via a counter-mounted microphone. Order two franks and he shouts "twodogstwo!" Ask for fries, and it's "A

frrrenchie!" Such irresistible ambience aside, the dogs are spectacular --crisp, juicy and bursting with garlicky flavor -- especially when topped with

Rutt's homemade cabbage-and-carrot relish. Have a beer, admire the hand-painted menu on the wall (featuring old-school favorites like Taylor ham sandwiches), and hear yourself reflexively saying, "I'll have another dog, please."

Based on my one experience, they are neither crisp nor bursting with garlickly flavor. Back to Syds.

I guess I am just a grill dog kinda gal.  I will end with a final note that the reviews are misleading - see following excerpt from the NY Times July 3, 2002:

Based on my one experience, they are neither crisp nor bursting with garlickly flavor. Back to Syds.

the passage wouldn't be misleading to anyone who didn't have a "mushy" dog there, which as far as i can tell is pretty much everyone else who's gone there in the last 80 yrs. as far as "bursting with garlicky flavor," that's probably a little harder to quantify.

Sheri,

Interesting observations about Rutt's Hut and Syd's. I've been to both, as well as most of the hot dog places in Jersey and these two are definitely in my top 5. But like comparing apples and oranges. I live in Union where Syd's is located. Expensive ($3.00 a dog). They use a quality Best's brand 5 to a lb dog. It is boiled first and then charbroiled. A nice, spicy kosher style dog with a good casing; not too tough like a lot of other natural casing dogs. This dog was picked as the best in Jersey in the 98 Munchmobile series where they reviewed 12 of the most popular hot dog joints over a 2 week period. These articles sparked my interest in hot dogs and comparing the many fine franks available in Jersey. After trying Syd's, it became my favorite . I get the same dogs for a lot cheaper at Best's and cook them the same way at home. Syd's is one of the best all beef dogs, along with Father & Son Luncheonette in Linden and Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City. If you like Syd's, you'll like these two also. F&S uses a Grote & Weigle (Conn.) 8 to a lb all beef dog and cooks it on a griddle; Boulevard Drinks uses a 10 to a lb Sabrett (same dog as Papaya King; see Lobel's thread on General Food forum around page 3 or 4 for an in depth discussion on Sabrett and Papaya King) and cooks it the same way.

In comparison, Boulevard Drinks is a tad spicier than the F&S dog, which is considerably spicier than the Syd's dog. All depends on what degree of spiciness you prefer. Because my interest in hot dogs borders on obsession according to friends and family, I've been able to meet people at Best's Sabrett, Thumann's, and a couple of other hot dog manufacturers. I've toured some of these places and asked every question I can think of. The Best dog (Syd's) is naturally smoked and contains less garlic than the other 2. It also contains a better quality of beef. Being simmered in water, than charbroiled, makes it less greasy than those griddled. The flavor is well balanced without being overly spicy. Depending on where you live, try a Syd's and then either a Boulevard Drink's in Jersey City or Papaya King in N.Y.

As for Rutt's Hut, I found out that they use a special dog from Thumann's made exclusively for deep frying. Their regular dog for grilling is 75% pork and is the one you see in supermarkets and delis. The one used at Rutt's and also Libby's, Hiram's, the Goffle Grill, and Eagan's (before it was turned into a Rite Aid) is lighter in color, has a higher pork content, and contains semolina and soy protein to aid in frying. The dog also picks up additional color and flavor from the cooking oil. The Syd's and other brands mentioned previously are all beef and spicy (Kosher style) while the Thumann's are predominately pork and contain NO garlic or paprika. That is why I say comparing the two types is like comparing apples and oranges.

The first time I went to Rutt's, I liked it, but thought it couldn't compare to Syd's because I was expecting a spicy all beef dog. But after going a second time and getting a couple of "wellers" or well done; my opinion changed. And of course, their relish is the best hot dog condiment I've had. I hate regular relish, and usually use just mustard, but this relish is different and shipped all over the country. I'd give Rutt's another try. Gourmet magazine listed it as one of the top 10 dogs in the country. It is different. Sort of like the White Castle of hot dogs. Check Holly's website (Hollyeats.com) He gives Rutt's and Syd's the highest ratings. Both different, both great. Another somewhat unique dog is Jerry's in Elizabeth. They use a Best brand dog, but smaller than Syd's (8 to a lb rather than 5) and boil it, then finish it off on a steel griddle. The result is a tasty, all beef dog that is crunchier with a little extra grease. This one is my family's favorite. They hate Rutt's. Go figure.

John the hot dog guy

Another somewhat unique dog is Jerry's in Elizabeth. They use a Best brand dog, but smaller than Syd's (8 to a lb rather than 5) and boil it, then finish it off on a steel griddle. The result is a tasty, all beef dog that is crunchier with a little extra grease. This one is my family's favorite. They hate Rutt's. Go figure.

John -

thanks for your usual, in depth comments.

I'm not familiar with Jerry's. Could you offer a location?

Thanks

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

John - Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I had a feeling from the start that a large part of my problem was an issue of unrealistic expectations (I swear it was that article in the Times that referred to them as "crisp" that got me). I do agree on the relish - its among the best I have had (see my initial entry). Looking forward to trying some of the other places on your list!

Let me change the subject a little bit. How about Supermarket dogs? How would you rate them? For me Its always been Hebrew National natural casings(very hard to find since Hebrew National moved to Indiana about 15 years ago). Their Knocks are great also(either boiled or in cabage soup). Then comes Shoprite brand, Black Bear all beef natural casing. In third I would say Boars Head. What about cooking techniques? I almost always grill, but occasionally like them boiled.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Sabrett natural casing are my favorite of the widely available brands in my region, given that we don't have Usinger's or Vienna Beef in the Northeast except by mail order. I was under the impression that Hebrew National does not make a natural casing hot dog. However, may I suggest that the subject of supermarket hot dogs should be started on a new thread?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Jerry's is located on Elizabeth Ave and 2nd Ave in Elizabeth. It is a small walk up storefront. Two doors down on the left is Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs. They make the best Italian Hot Dog; even better than Charlie's where my daughter works. Italian Hot Dogs are Best hot dogs (skinless) deep fried and served on pizza bread with potatoes, onions, and peppers. Again, I would refer you to Holly's site for pictures and descriptions. Except that he mentions that Jimmy Buff's grills theirs. They deep fry em. People who like extra grease (the bag drips oil) like Jimmy Buff's. Those who don't prefer Charlies (the potatoes aren't as good) or Tommy's.

Double O mentioned Supermarket brands. My favorite is Black Bear all beef with the casing. The entire Black Bear product line is produced exclusively for Shop Rite by Dietz and Watson. Everything with the Black Bear label is exceptional. Try their roast beef. Dietz and Watson makes a very similar beef dog. So similar that I suspected that one was a knockoff of the other. I contacted someone at Shop Rite who told me that indeed Dietz and Watson produces Black Bear. I suspect Black Bear may be a little better. When comparing Dietz and Watson dogs with Black Bear, I noticed that the Dietz and Watson left behind a lot of grease on the griddle. I've heard many explanations for this; but I'm noy sure of the reason. I'd love to have a Kosher Frank with natural casing. Most casings are sheep or hog which I know is not kosher. I believe collagen may be acceptable. My favorite supermarket dogs are Black Bear beef (spicier) and Best's (a little less spicy). Sabrett's and Hebrew National are spicy like Black Bear; Boar's Head and Nathan's are a little less spicy like Best's.

For a pork and beef dog, Thumann's is the best. Schickhaus is good too.

Some of my favorite hot dog places are: Tommy's, Rutt's Hut, Syd's, Father & Son, Jerry's, Galloping Hill Inn, the Hot Grill, Texas Weiner l, Toby's Cup, and Dee's. Oh, and Libby's makes a great Texas Weiner.

John the hot dog guy

How do you feel Rutt's Hut dogs compare to Goffle Grill dogs?  Discernable difference?  Just wondering?

The Goffle Grill is good if you're in that neighborhood (Hawthorne), but if you're travelling for dogs, you're better off going to Clifton. Rutt's Hutt may not have "all the way sauce" (watered down chili of sorts), but The Hot Grill (also in Clifton) certainly does.

Personally, I'm not a big "hot dog aficionado" (at best, I consider them to be snacks), but friends of mine who live either in or next to Hawthorne still say that The Hot Grill and Rutt's Hutt are well worth the trip.

Rosie,

Hot Dog John was someone else; he posted on the Munchmobile forum a few years ago and never came back. I was "Union Hot Dog Lover", but when the format changed and we needed nicknames, it wouldn't fit. As of a few weeks ago, I changed my name to Hot Dog John and then changed it to just "Hot Dog Lover" so no one would think the previous Hot Dog John was me. He was on the Munchmobile in 98, I was there last summer.

Rutt's Hut and the Goffle Grill use the same brand of hot dog which is Thumann's for deep frying (as opposed to the supermarket ones for grilling) They have soy protein and semolina to aid in frying. Eagan's used this dog before they were turned into a Rite Aid (an abomination). Hiram's in Fort Lee uses it as well as Libby's in Paterson. Even though they are the same, I prefer Rutt's because 1) you can get them cooked to different levels of doneness (I prefer well done) 2) they have the best relish in the world 3) you never have to wait because the dogs are already in the oil when you get there; they just pull em out and serve em.

The Hot Grill uses a special dog made by Sabrett that is 50% beef and 50% pork. Johnny and Hanges uses an all beef Thumann's dog. And Libby's, as I said uses the Thumann's used at Rutt's and the other places named. Even though I like the dog better at Libby's, I prefer the Texas Weiner at the Hot Grill because of their chili sauce. The best in my opinion. The Hot Grill and Rutt's are well worth the trip. Get the chili at the Hot Grill (it is shipped all over the world) and the relish at Rutt's (also famous and sent to customers in California and even Alaska)

John the hot dog guy

Rutt's Hut and the Goffle Grill use the same brand of hot dog which is Thumann's for deep frying (as opposed to the supermarket ones for grilling)

and there goes my theory on the goffle grill dogs being smaller than ruts. :wacko:

Not so fast, Tommy! He said the same BRAND, not the same SIZE! I'm sure that Thumann's offers THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS of possible sizes within that particular product line and... er, um, ahem. Yeah, things look pretty grim for your theory... better luck next time. :wink:

edit: typo

I am looking for an opinion about the hot dogs at Clixes which is down the street from the Goffle Grill.  I have passed it a million times on the way to the Goffle Grill.  Is is worth a trip??

I haven't been to Clixes in a while, but I remember their hot dogs as being just a notch below The Goffle Grill's. I like the interior better at Clixes (dark wood instead of bright plastic), but like The Goffle Grill, it's not a place I would recommend unless you're in the neighborhood. And if you ARE in the neighborhood, I'd probably say you should stop by The Goffle Grill first anyway since it's just down the street.

Also, The Goffle Grill has tater tots (I think they call them potato rounds on the menu) which can be a nice alternative to french fries.