• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me use up some methylcellulose...

Tri2Cook

A few months ago, in a flurry of excitement after reading the various threads here, I ordered a bunch of the cool chemicals/additives for doing various food science experiments. I was thrilled with the spherification, I don't/didn't use it at the restaurant but still play around with it occasionally at home/for private jobs/etc. I still make some use of the tapioca maltodextrin, carrageenan and a couple other things as well. The methylcellulose (E50 if I remember correctly), I bought to try the "hot ice cream" thing with. After a little learning curve, it worked great but I wasn't too thrilled. I thought it was "neat" but it didn't make me think ice cream in any way other than appearance. So, after the initial fun of learning something new, I was no longer interested in that particular idea which left me with over 400 grams of the stuff. I was doing an inventory of the toy chest recently and almost tossed it when it occured to me to ask here about things to do with it other than trashcan it. Any ideas? If there's nothing that sounds interesting to do with it I'll send it to whoever wants it/asks first rather than throw it away. It's been kept in a tightly sealed glass jar in it's original, resealable bag in a dark, cool cabinet so it should be in good shape.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Have you ever made home-made paper? Methylcellulose is mixed into the water along with the pulp to act as a sizing. Before the age of chemicals, potato starch was used. You could give it to crafters who make paper or try it yourself!

Thanks folks. I don't want to make artificial body fluids and don't know anything about making paper but I'll find something to do with it.

Edit: Actually, after giving it some thought, I have an idea I'm going to try. It would belong in the pastry forum if it works out though, not here. If not, I've received a couple private messages offering to take it off my hands.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

mehylcellulose as all nerds know reacts backwards compared to most gellifiers(sp) as it is liquidy when cool and solid when warm. thusly as chef dufresne has already done one can make "noodles" by adding methylcellulose to a product, resting to remove air (or vacuming product) then piping (or squeeze tube) into hot (barely simmering) water bath. as per amnts not sure. i saw a recipe in arts culinare. i have also been able to (accidentally) make a "moouse" from watered down juice by areating methylcellulose into the product. un fortunately i aint been able to repeat it! damn!