• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

5 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I have an apron from amazon that I don't like, it has plastic clasps that rub against my neck, and as such I rarely wear it and have ruined so many expensive shirts (when I'd come home from work, first thing I'd do is start cooking before changing, I'm a nerd in salesmen's clothing).  Looking at the recommended/influenced rough linen brand here, the aprons seem like they'd sit too low on a skinny dude, so I think I'd prefer a more traditional kind over the neck so it sits up higher.  There was a link here to an eater article.. "Merci" brand has some, but all the models are women.  Any of you tried that brand?  Any good?  Similar pricing to rough linen it seems.  i.e. expensive 😖

Hedley & Bennett make very good quality aprons.  They put the clip to adjust the length of the neck strap over on one side so it doesn't sit at the back of the neck. Made in the US.  Nice selection of fabrics. I know a lot of people who are big fans. 

Edited to add that their cross back aprons are good if you don't want anything on your neck at all. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

I have an apron from amazon that I don't like, it has plastic clasps that rub against my neck, and as such I rarely wear it and have ruined so many expensive shirts (when I'd come home from work, first thing I'd do is start cooking before changing, I'm a nerd in salesmen's clothing).  Looking at the recommended/influenced rough linen brand here, the aprons seem like they'd sit too low on a skinny dude, so I think I'd prefer a more traditional kind over the neck so it sits up higher.  There was a link here to an eater article.. "Merci" brand has some, but all the models are women.  Any of you tried that brand?  Any good?  Similar pricing to rough linen it seems.  i.e. expensive 😖

Hadley & Bennett make very good quality aprons.  They put the clip to adjust the length of the neck strap over on one side so it doesn't sit at the back of the neck. Made in the US.  Nice selection of fabrics. I know a lot of people who are big fans. 

Edited to add that their cross back aprons are good if you don't want anything on your neck at all. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

8 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

Hadley & Bennett make very good quality aprons.  They put the clip to adjust the length of the neck strap over on one side so it doesn't sit at the back of the neck. Made in the US.  Nice selection of fabrics. I know a lot of people who are big fans.