• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Vulcan 50k Btu Burners At Home?

Aahzimandious

On the websites they always say for restaurant use only. Why is that? I got to use a vulcan stove with the dual ring high btu output burners at a previous job and Iv never gotten over how satisfying it was to cook on em. Iv lately gotten enthralled with the idea of woks but Im saddled with a 60's era electric stove that is the antithesis of a good wok stove. For a while Iv looked at new stoves but I cant find any with high enough btu outputs (25k or more) for reasonable prices ($1000 or less). So I started looking on line and Iv found several 2 burner vulcan ranges 50k btu available for dirt cheap ($400 or less). This isn't bad considering a new wok burner alone often runs $800 or more and that is usually only one burner. So would it be an awfull idea to buy one o these things and hook it up????

I want a decent range so bad!!!

Yes... if you want to meet local code and also ensure the safety of your house, yourself and your family then you'll have to retrofit the space in which it will be installed. That means firerock, mucho ventilation, quite likely a stainless steel backsplash on the bakc and or sides and also maybe even a fire supression system.

I'm going through this same decision making process myself. I have a space large enough for a 36" range that still leaves 2" of clearance on each side and it's on an outtside wall. I'm looking at spending $1800 - $2000 on a gas range and hte commmercial units totally blow away the consuemr products at that price level.

Yes...  if you want to meet local code and also ensure the safety of your house, yourself and your family then you'll have to retrofit the space in which it will be installed.  That means firerock, mucho ventilation, quite likely a stainless steel backsplash on the bakc and or sides and also maybe even a fire supression system.

I'm going through this same decision making process myself.  I have a space large enough for a 36" range that still leaves 2" of clearance on each side and it's on an outtside wall.  I'm looking at spending $1800 - $2000 on a gas range and hte commmercial units totally blow away the consuemr products at that price level.

I think it's steel over ceramic tile over firerock if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention they don't have any electronic ignition and the pilots are huge themselves. My remedy for the pilot issue was an eye level shut-off but my insurer wouldn't underwrite steel over tile over firerock on wood studs. Even with a mega cfm hood and 6" clearance on each side. Really nothing short of an Ansul system

Ask any qualified Fire Marshall or Fire Inspector about the wisdom of installing a commercial unit in a residence. While your at it, contact your insurance agent and explain exactly what you intend to do.

I'm sure that down the road some of the individuals installing these commercial units in a residence will win the 'Darwin Award'! -Dick