• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

U.S. halts sales of chickens

KitchenQueen

Federal officials on Friday placed a hold on 20 million chickens raised for market in several states because their feed was mixed with pet food containing an industrial chemical.

Three government agencies -- the Agriculture Department, the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency -- are overseeing a risk assessment to determine whether the chickens would pose a threat to human health if eaten, USDA spokesman Keith Williams said. The assessment may be completed as early as Monday.

complete article here

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregoni...8720.xml&coll=7

I've had it. I want country of origin labeling on everything I buy.

I will never again buy products from certain countries. We all knew this pet food would escalate into human food.

And I saw on the news today a US grandmother took the foreign made WalMart baby bib off her grandchild who was sucking on it. She bought a kit and tested it.

It was loaded with lead. Who knew embroidery thread could contain lead?

Why is our FDA not protecting our food supplies?

What else are we feeding our children?

And I am screaming mad that they will announce the names of the chicken farms involved "later". We have a right to know immediately if we have their product in our refrigerators.

I, for one, doubt that the sky is falling.

Our food supply is as plentiful, available, affordable and safer than it ever has been.

SB  :rolleyes:

Safer than it's ever been?

Sorry, do not agree. Plentiful, yes, available, yes, affordable, yes.

Safer? No way. Not for me, you, kitty , kid or pup

And food is not the only problem. Have a cough? Kids have a cold? Prepare to cringe.

I'm doing a major pantry/fridge product trashing today. Not later. Today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/world/06...int&oref=slogin

OK,

I finished my heaving of all possible suspects in fridge and pantry.

DAMN! 43 total. Many unopened. I'm more than peeved about the money I spent for them.

But I won't ever purchase them again. EVER.

Noodles, sesame oil... GACK!! I need a US supplier fast. Chinese canned goods out the butt.

I can't live without sesame oil.

Or maybe I can. Yes, I know we all thought it was Japanese.

This is a very old issue - Frederick Accum published his "A Treatise on Adulterations of Food, and Culinary Poisons Exhibiting the Fraudulent Sophistications of Bread, Beer, Wine, Spiritous Liquors, Tea, Coffee, Cream, Confectionery, Vinegar, Mustard, Pepper, Cheese, Olive Oil, Pickles, and Other Articles Employed in Domestic Economy" in 1820.

It is available at <a href="http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/19031">Gutenberg</a>

There is some REALLY scary stuff in there! Reading it makes you realise that we have made progress.

We just have to keep chipping away at the issues. The Internet is a great tool for improving accountability.

[edited to fix a typo]

Edited by The Old Foodie (log)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

...I think I'll stop buying Chinese made food and drug products altogether.

Avoiding Chinese-made products is pretty easy to do, as almost any and every end product has to clearly label the country of origin (manufacture).

Avoiding American-made products, for example, with Chinese-made components is a different story altogether.

In other words, good luck.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.