• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dining close to Minetta Lane Theater?

Bliss

Provence is right on Minetta--it might get overlooked because it's been around forever, but it's pretty--has a wood burning oven for little pizzas and lots of small dishes ideal for pre theater nosh--

also they are kind and friendly there --I once brought my sister for dinner --she only drank wine coolers at the time--I was inwardly cringing when she ordered one because I was afraid the server would snoot her and i'd get into a fight, but no, like a darling he said they didn't have them but got the bartender to whip up a facsimile--somewhere between a spritzer and a shirley temple.

So ever since, i pimp for Provence whenever i get a chance.

Z

Provence is right on Minetta--it might get overlooked because it's been around forever, but it's pretty--has a wood burning oven for little pizzas and lots of small dishes ideal for pre theater nosh--

also they are kind and friendly there --I once brought my sister for dinner --she only drank wine coolers at the time--I was inwardly cringing when she ordered one because I was afraid the server would snoot her and i'd get into a fight, but no, like a darling he said they didn't have them but got the bartender to whip up a facsimile--somewhere between a spritzer and a shirley temple.

So ever since, i pimp for Provence whenever i get a chance.

Z

And just re-opened with new ownership (same folks who own Cookshop)...check it out!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

snakeater said

"Provence isn't on Minetta. It's on MacDougal.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Bellavitae -- which has the substantial advantage of being right next door to the theater? "

I'm definitely thinking of Provence, just got foggy about location i guess--how's Bellavitae?

Z