• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy Suckling Pig

David Ross

Does anyone have a good online source for buying a small suckling pig? I bought one recently and it didn't turn out so good, not so much the cooking technique but I don't think I started with a great product to begin with. So I'm looking for a different source this time. Have you had good results with a suckling pig?

Does anyone have a good online source for buying a small suckling pig?  I bought one recently and it didn't turn out so good, not so much the cooking technique but I don't think I started with a great product to begin with.  So I'm looking for a different source this time.  Have you had good results with a suckling pig?

I prepared one for Christmas. I searched online and wasn't too excited about the options or the prices. I called my local butcher shop and he was able to order one from his wholesale supplier. It was great. Brined it overnight with lots of garlic, oregano, cumin and orange juice and cooked it low and slow. Served it with fresh mojo. Sorry for the bad quality of the photo. And I know that I'm not winning any plating awards, either, but believe me, my guests didn't care a bit! KBJ

gallery_51874_4337_463174.jpg

Best to find a local pig farmer and tell him the specfic size. The animal must be kept off antibiotics for about two weeks before slaughter. The farmer will then transport your pig to your local processor and all you have to do is to tell them how you want the pig. -Dick