• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading to Hershey

Kerry Beal

I'm heading off to Hershey next Sunday to the PMCA (Pennsylvania Manufacturing Confectioners Association) annual conference. Since I'd like to continue the weight loss I've started in the past few weeks and following mizducky's excellent advice, I think that sticking to asian soups will be a great way to avoid the high fat temptation.

So my question is this - where will I find these delights in and around Hershey?

I think you may be out of luck in Hershey but if you expect to have transportation I can give you some places in Harrisburg that might suit. Hershey is a relatively small town with relatively few choices for dining.

I think you may be out of luck in Hershey but if you expect to have transportation  I can give you some places in Harrisburg that might suit.  Hershey is a relatively small town with relatively few choices for dining.

I will be with car, so Harrisburg is no problem. Thanks.

Pho Pasteur is at 560 S. 29th St. in Harrisburg and seems to be popular with the local Asian population.

Another possibility is a place at 3rd and Reilly(its name has escaped me), a few blocks north of the state house.

Rose's, at 2306 Walnut St., closed for some time after its owner suffered a serious injury, but I recently noticed that a Vietnamese restaurant is again open in that location. I don't know if it is operated by the same people.

If you would get to Lancaster, Rice and Noodles on the Lititz Pike just north of Lancaster has lots of soups and is the best of the kind in the area. The folks who run this had a place in New Orleans that was damanged by Katrina that was very popular.

Rice & Noodles

1238 Lititz Pike

Lancaster, PA 17601

(717) 481-PHO1

Also, on the Lincoln Highway East near all the outlets is Lemon Grass Thai. very good and also the best of the type around here.

click here

I've had a couple of good meals at Lemon Grass Thai, that Mike mentioned.

I noticed that the menu is almost identical to a few other places scattered along Lancaster Avenue, from Philly all the way out here. One tends to remember odd names for dishes, such as "Young Girl on Fire," "Angel Breast," "Swimming Rama" and "Between the Sheets." Despite the strange wording, the food was pretty good.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

How far is Lancaster from Hershey?

Perhaps I should also ask about good liquor stores in the Harrisburg and Lancaster area. Always looking for new and exciting liqueurs etc to add to chocolate centers.

How far is Lancaster from Hershey?

Perhaps I should also ask about good liquor stores in the Harrisburg and Lancaster area.  Always looking for new and exciting liqueurs etc to add to chocolate centers.

Hershey to Lancaster is not really that far. Can easily be made in a little more than 30 minutes. In PA liquor is sold at stores owned by the state. The selection is mostly the same no matter which store you go to. The Premium Collection stores do have a greater selection. There is one in Lancaster and several in Dauphin County which includes the one in Hummelstown, which would be the closest one to Hershey.

This link is for a map that allows one to search for a store

PLCB store locater.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the 'upgraded' state store. 

Any other sites I should check out in the area?  Food or otherwise?

The Circular Dining Room at the Hotel Hershey is a lovely place. The gardens outside of this room are beautiful. Not sure what may be in bloom there now with the cold weather, but both are worth a try.

I know many people who enjoy the zoo at Hershey, but I can't personally attest to it. Many years ago they gave real tours of the chocolate factory. Now they have "Chocolate world" which is not the same thing. Big controversy in Hershey these days is the elimination of hundreds of jobs by Hershey Corporation in favor of expanding production in Mexico. The union just agreed to the elimination of these jobs and the company agreed to keep production going in Hershey. Right now, feelings are still running high.

I have been conversing with a bunch of other famous Canadians about a local delicacy know as Lebanon bologna and the inability to obtain it north of the border. It is really wonderful stuff and I talked about it in my foodblog that is linked in my signature line. You really should try some

Thanks guys, I'll check out the 'upgraded' state store. 

Any other sites I should check out in the area?  Food or otherwise?

The Circular Dining Room at the Hotel Hershey is a lovely place. The gardens outside of this room are beautiful. Not sure what may be in bloom there now with the cold weather, but both are worth a try.

I know many people who enjoy the zoo at Hershey, but I can't personally attest to it. Many years ago they gave real tours of the chocolate factory. Now they have "Chocolate world" which is not the same thing. Big controversy in Hershey these days is the elimination of hundreds of jobs by Hershey Corporation in favor of expanding production in Mexico. The union just agreed to the elimination of these jobs and the company agreed to keep production going in Hershey. Right now, feelings are still running high.

I have been conversing with a bunch of other famous Canadians about a local delicacy know as Lebanon bologna and the inability to obtain it north of the border. It is really wonderful stuff and I talked about it in my foodblog that is linked in my signature line. You really should try some

Checked out the bologna in the blog. Do various places make their own bologna, ie is there a 'best' place to try it? Does this mean I'm going to be smuggling sausage across the border for Marlene? Lovely dogs by the way, there is something so prototypically doglike about the Bernese mountain dog.

I've done the 'chocolate world' tour, essentially just a carnival ride to get you into the gift shop. I don't bring back much in the way of their chocolate. Maybe a new product here and there just to see the technique, but I don't think I've eaten a Hershey bar since childhood.

I've attended the PMCA for 2 years now, and we went up to the Hotel Hershey a couple of years ago to attend the spa. You are right about the grounds, absolutely gorgeous. We have stayed at the Hershey lodge because the conference is held there.

How about bookstores that might have cookbooks or old professional books about confectionary, or thrift stores - those are some of my favorite to search for old chocolate molds and kitchen gadgets?

I drove down to Hershey today, stopped in Lewisburg to find something for a late lunch - and there in the deli case at Weis was Lebanon and sweet bologna (seltzer brand). I was given a taste of each and very quickly went over to find a nice roll. I made a fine sandwich with a mixture of half each Lebanon and sweet and some mustard.

You are so right, this is lovely stuff. I'll have to take a good sized chunk home. But I'll be hard pressed to decide if it should be the sweet or not.

I drove down to Hershey today, stopped in Lewisburg to find something for a late lunch - and there in the deli case at Weis was Lebanon and sweet bologna (seltzer brand). I was given a taste of each and very quickly went over to find a nice roll. I made a fine sandwich with a mixture of half each Lebanon and sweet and some mustard.

You are so right, this is lovely stuff. I'll have to take a good sized chunk home. But I'll be hard pressed to decide if it should be the sweet or not.

Good Doctor,

I prefer the sweet myself. My wife the plain Lebanon. My late father loved the lebanon and did not care for the sweet. The guy I work with, who is fron Lebanon, prefers the sweet. They are both great and Seltzers is a fine brand. Other brands you may see include, Kunzlers, Baums, Weavers amongst others. I hope your drive was not to difficult due to the wind and rain

I do hope you can take some home. I also hope the border guards do not consider it contraband of some sort

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker here, and it was a private e-mail discussion I had with Kerry about this thread that convinced me to upgrade so that I could start posting messages.

I too am from Lancaster county. My wife is from Lebanon, and I used to live in Hershey. I've always preferred the regular bologna as a cold sandwhich. But, I also like very much the sweet bologna fried with some cheese and spicy mustard. Its even better if you can find some pretzel bread to eat it on.

Also, as a sidenote, the Kunzler factory is in Palmyra, the next town over from Hershey. They used to have a little store there, but I'm not sure if it is still open or not.

Take Care...Shawn

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker here, and it was a private e-mail discussion I had with Kerry about this thread that convinced me to upgrade so that I could start posting messages. 

I too am from Lancaster county.  My wife is from Lebanon, and I used to live in Hershey.  I've always preferred the regular bologna as a cold sandwhich.  But, I also like very much the sweet bologna fried with some cheese and spicy mustard.  Its even better if you can find some pretzel bread to eat it on. 

Also, as a sidenote, the Kunzler factory is in Palmyra, the next town over from Hershey.  They used to have a little store there, but I'm not sure if it is still open or not. 

Take Care...Shawn

Hey Shawn, glad you are finally posting.

I'm going to hit Palmyra today on my whirlwind tour of the area. I hope to hit the Seltzer store and now I'll check out the Kunzler factory too. I'm going to taste all the varieties I can. I'm interested to try the double smoked versions and to compare a few different brands.

Next I'm sure I'll be trying to find a recipe to duplicate this wonderful stuff at home. There is only one very pathetic recipe on the net, it neglects to add salt and uses 6 ounces of culture, which I'm sure isn't correct for 10 lbs of meat. I wonder if any of the Penn Deutch cookbooks around would have a recipe in them. I think I smell a future thread!

Thank you so much for your suggestions about areas to explore in Lititz, I hope to find my way there today and check out the Wilbur museum.

Hi Everyone,

I too am from Lancaster county.  My wife is from Lebanon, and I used to live in Hershey.  I've always preferred the regular bologna as a cold sandwhich.  But, I also like very much the sweet bologna fried with some cheese and spicy mustard.  Its even better if you can find some pretzel bread to eat it on. 

Also, as a sidenote, the Kunzler factory is in Palmyra, the next town over from Hershey.  They used to have a little store there, but I'm not sure if it is still open or not. 

Take Care...Shawn

I'm going to hit Palmyra today on my whirlwind tour of the area. I hope to hit the Seltzer store and now I'll check out the Kunzler factory too. I'm going to taste all the varieties I can. I'm interested to try the double smoked versions and to compare a few different brands.

Next I'm sure I'll be trying to find a recipe to duplicate this wonderful stuff at home. There is only one very pathetic recipe on the net, it neglects to add salt and uses 6 ounces of culture, which I'm sure isn't correct for 10 lbs of meat. I wonder if any of the Penn Deutch cookbooks around would have a recipe in them. I think I smell a future thread!

Thank you so much for your suggestions about areas to explore in Lititz, I hope to find my way there today and check out the Wilbur museum.

Thanks Kerry. Glad you're having a good trip. Sorry the weather hasn't been nicer for you. In reading your response, I realize I made a mistake. I mentioned Kunzler being in Palmyra, when I meant to say Seltzers. I'm not exactly sure where the Kunzler factory is. Sorry about that...a mistake in my very first post, go figure. Have fun today!

-Shawn

Thanks Kerry.  Glad you're having a good trip.  Sorry the weather hasn't been nicer for you.  In reading your response, I realize I made a mistake.  I mentioned Kunzler being in Palmyra, when I meant to say Seltzers.  I'm not exactly sure where the Kunzler factory is.  Sorry about that...a mistake in my very first post, go figure.  Have fun today!

-Shawn

Kerry, I just thought of something else. If you take the route we had discussed, and you find yourself heading back home North on Rt. 72, you'll see a store on the right hand side of the road called S. Clyde Weaver. They have a lot of smoked meats and cheeses there that you might be interested in. The store is about a mile north of the Saigon Cafe right on Rt. 72. It is a pretty store sitting in between several car dealerships. I believe it is right next to and after the Ford dealership.

Safe Travels...Shawn

Thanks Kerry.  Glad you're having a good trip.  Sorry the weather hasn't been nicer for you.  In reading your response, I realize I made a mistake.  I mentioned Kunzler being in Palmyra, when I meant to say Seltzers.  I'm not exactly sure where the Kunzler factory is.  Sorry about that...a mistake in my very first post, go figure.  Have fun today!

-Shawn

Kerry, I just thought of something else. If you take the route we had discussed, and you find yourself heading back home North on Rt. 72, you'll see a store on the right hand side of the road called S. Clyde Weaver. They have a lot of smoked meats and cheeses there that you might be interested in. The store is about a mile north of the Saigon Cafe right on Rt. 72. It is a pretty store sitting in between several car dealerships. I believe it is right next to and after the Ford dealership.

Safe Travels...Shawn

The Kunzler plant is smack dab in the middle of Lancaster on Manor Street. They do not have any sort of store on the plant grounds. I drive by it every day on the way to work

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Hi Everyone,

I too am from Lancaster county. My wife is from Lebanon, and I used to live in Hershey. I've always preferred the regular bologna as a cold sandwhich. But, I also like very much the sweet bologna fried with some cheese and spicy mustard. Its even better if you can find some pretzel bread to eat it on.

Also, as a sidenote, the Kunzler factory is in Palmyra, the next town over from Hershey. They used to have a little store there, but I'm not sure if it is still open or not.

Take Care...Shawn

Welcome, Shawn. There are not many Lancastrians posting here but all the PA board posters are a friendly bunch. Please do post as much as you care to.

Welcome, Shawn.  There are not many Lancastrians posting here but all the PA board posters are a friendly bunch. Please do post as much as you care to.

Thanks Mike. I've enjoyed reading your posts about the Lancaster area and hope to be able to contribute.

Thanks!...Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to hit Palmyra today on my whirlwind tour of the area.  I hope to hit the Seltzer store and now I'll check out the Kunzler factory too.  I'm going to taste all the varieties I can.  I'm interested to try the double smoked versions and to compare a few different brands.

Next I'm sure I'll be trying to find a recipe to duplicate this wonderful stuff at home.  There is only one very pathetic recipe on the net, it neglects to add salt and uses 6 ounces of culture, which I'm sure isn't correct for 10 lbs of meat.  I wonder if any of the Penn Deutch cookbooks around would have a recipe in them.  I think I smell a future thread!

So...how did you make out on your whirlwind tour of Central PA?

-Shawn

I'm going to hit Palmyra today on my whirlwind tour of the area.  I hope to hit the Seltzer store and now I'll check out the Kunzler factory too.  I'm going to taste all the varieties I can.  I'm interested to try the double smoked versions and to compare a few different brands.

Next I'm sure I'll be trying to find a recipe to duplicate this wonderful stuff at home.  There is only one very pathetic recipe on the net, it neglects to add salt and uses 6 ounces of culture, which I'm sure isn't correct for 10 lbs of meat.  I wonder if any of the Penn Deutch cookbooks around would have a recipe in them.  I think I smell a future thread!

I brought home several pounds of beef and honey stick, lebanon bologna and sweet bologna.

So...how did you make out on your whirlwind tour of Central PA?

-Shawn

I had quite the whirlwind. I make it to Lititz just at 5, so I missed the Wilbur tour (next year). I did hit the pretzel factory in time to grab a few bags. I made it to Lemongrass (found it by accident - it was meant to be) and I did justice to the factory outlet stores.

I had breakfast at the Hershey Pantry you suggested and enjoyed all but the scrapple - don't think it's quite my taste. The fried potatoes they serve with breakfast were absolutely the best.

Thanks again for your suggestions, next trip down we'll have to meet up with you and get you to show us around.