• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The only wine that will make you believe in God..

ChefJohnny

Im so excited right now that I had to share with my fellow eG'ers. Today I got word that I am, in fact, heading to Europe for 4 months to train under some amazing Michelin starred chefs. So, in celebration, my partner picked up a bottle of my all time absolute favorite wine, Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes. Vintage is 1998.

....... ( no words to describe) ......

I had my first bottle a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. There is nothing that ends a fantastic meal better than this. Anytime I see it on a wine list, I always get it.

Anyone else fancy d'Yquem Sauternes?? Id love to hear your stories.

-Chef Johnny

IMG00007.jpg

IMG00006.jpg

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

What's not to love other than perhaps the price? I'm saving a bottle from my birth year to celebrate my 50th birthday with. Unfortunately, that keeps getting closer! :laugh: It certainly is a wine worthy of celebrations.

There are a few other dessert wines I don't mind finishing a meal with though too.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I would love to find an '82 d'Yquem for a super special occasion (my birth year). But Ive yet to see any around that are that vintange. I just finished the .375 and am feeling on top of the world!!

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

I've never had the chance to try this wine (and probably won't for a while ... ), but congratulations on your upcoming European tour!

Thanks! Some local Michelin spots in Germany to start, and hopefully Michel Bras in France and el Bulli in Spain if things go well! Im blogging my entire trip here for everyone to enjoy.

http://www.gluttony.typepad.com

Im also trying to get an eG travelblog.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

a Sommolier friend poured me a FULL POUR of a vintage (80's) from one of the best cellars in the city. It was so lovely I almost wept...

Years later I orderd a glass on my own dime...

The bill came...

I almost wept....

Chef Johnny were the same age! 8/10/82 for me!

I just got a cool bottle of armanac that I'll drink when I'm old? get married?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

My dad had a few bottles from the 50's down in the wine cellar when I was a kid, I remember going across the border to Buffalo and picking them up at a store there. I think he paid over $20 each for them. He had read somewhere that this was a wine that everyone should have in their cellar.

I recall the opening of one bottle - we had a wheel of old cheddar from the Stella cheese factory in the Bay of Quinte (long since burned to the ground) - we shaved off these nice thin slices with a cheese plane - with this bottle of old gold wine, almost syrupy - the combination of the sharp cheddar and the sweet nectar - match made in heaven.

It's one of those food memories that, while you can't still actually taste the combination, you remember it was a life changing event. Two separate flavours, creating something that was so much more than the sum of their parts.

The sauternes I buy these days pales in comparison.

I was just chatting with my dad on the phone about this, he said by the time they opened the last bottle, the price had gone so high he found himself quite nervous about opening it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)