• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Art Institutes

Nargi

Alright, I'll keep this short and hopefully you all can expand upon it for me. I'm a culinary student and the Art Institute of California - San Diego, and there's a whole bunch of AI's throughout the country, but it seems as if everyone here or anywhere else goes/went to CIA. I'm just trying to find some fellow AI-ers out there. I've been comparing CIA, AI, J&W, etc. and see if there really is a truly "better" school. I'm a good cook already, but I'd like the best education I can get since it's gonna cost me almost 6 figures.

I've never eaten a Hot Pocket and thought "I'm glad I ate that."

Welcome, Nargi!

Can you or anyone else tell us what the characteristics of attending culinary school at an AI seem to be? Are there cultural differences that show up in the program, curriculum, or student population?

I ask because some of the most influential chefs in the greater Providence area (Bruce Tillinghast at New Rivers, George Germon and Johanne Killeen at Al Forno, Ciril Hitz at J&W... the list goes on) are RI School of Design graduates.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts