• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines of Spain

RichardA

My next vacation will be to Spain, a two week trip that spans from Madrid to San Sebastian to Barcelona. I want to know if there are any Spanish wines that are only available in Spain, that are not exported. I want to bring some wine home, and space will be limited, so I want to buy something more unique, which I can't get at home. Any suggestions?

Richard

There are tons. Literally.

The hardest part is that there is no one place that has a "list" of what is exported and not. I recently did the same thing in going to Argentina and the best/easiest thing was, when I found a wine I liked, to check its availability on wine-searcher.com and see what the going rate was.

In some cases, even though the wine WAS exported, it was still cheaper for me to buy it and have it exported back than to buy in in the U.S. (I was admittedly buying in bulk on my trip).

Sorry I couldn't be more specific help.

My next vacation will be to Spain, a two week trip that spans from Madrid to San Sebastian to Barcelona.  I want to know if there are any Spanish wines that are only available in Spain, that are not exported.  I want to bring some wine home, and space will be limited, so I want to buy something more unique, which I can't get at home.  Any suggestions?

Richard

My suggestion would be to visit some wineries and buy some wine that you develop a specific association with. In that case, those particular bottles will always be "extra-special." We recently were visited a friends with whom we visited Tuscany back in 1998. I took advantage of the opportunity to open some bottles that we had brought back with us from some of the wineries that we visited. It helped make that reunion even nicer. Depending on your access to transportation and your itinerary Catalunya may afford you the best opportunity for this. Brian Murdock's books Let's Open a Bottle and Spanish Wine: A Pocket Guide are good sources for worthy wineries. They are both available on Amazon.com.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks.

I actually already have plans to visit a number of wineries, including Abadia Retuerta, Remeriz de Ganuza, Albet i Noya, Pares Balta, Miguel Merino, Ismael Arroyo, Talai Berri Txakolina, Mas d’en Gil and Costers del Siurana.

Thanks.

I actually already have plans to visit a number of wineries, including Abadia Retuerta, Remeriz de Ganuza, Albet i Noya, Pares Balta, Miguel Merino, Ismael Arroyo, Talai Berri Txakolina, Mas d’en Gil and Costers del Siurana.

There's plenty to work from there!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

you will probably find that the wineries you are visiting will have wines that they don't export. at least, that's what i've encountered in my travels. it's always surprising to visit a place, whose wines i am familiar with through purchasing in america, and discover they have old vintages, swet wines, sparklers, etc. that never make it to the states for whatever reason.