• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonefish Grill and Cheeseburger in Paradise

jb_973

Just down the street from my office on Route 1 in Iselin, in the reconstructed shell of an old Chichis, two new chain restaurants are in the process of opening - Bonefish Grill and Cheeseburger in Paradise.

A quick scan of the Bonefish Grill website seems to hint that it is something like a 'Big Fish' or scaled back Legal Seafood. Anyone know more about this place?

As for Cheeseburger in Paradise... well, I guess I'll have to start searching for that inner Parrothead ;)

Just down the street from my office on Route 1 in Iselin, in the reconstructed shell of an old Chichis, two new chain restaurants are in the process of opening - Bonefish Grill and Cheeseburger in Paradise.

A quick scan of the Bonefish Grill website seems to hint that it is something like a 'Big Fish' or scaled back Legal Seafood.  Anyone know more about this place?

As for Cheeseburger in Paradise... well, I guess I'll have to start searching for that inner Parrothead ;)

Bonefish is not of the caliber of Legal Seafood. You pick your fish, and have a choice of three sauces. nuf said.

They do make great drinks, though

Bonefish is not of the caliber of Legal Seafood.  You pick your fish, and have a choice of three sauces.  nuf said.

Oh well - I thought I was hoping for a little too much there! That said, seeing the only other seafood dining choice in that part of the neighborhood is Red Lobster, I am hoping that it will be a step up from that.

They do make great drinks, though

Maybe it's not so bad :smile:

Bonefish Grill & Cheeseburger in Paradise are owned by OSI Restaurant Partners. The umbrella corporation owns these two concepts along with Outback, Roys, Carrabas, Flemings Steakhouse, Lee Roy Selmon's and Blue Coral.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I recently went to Bonefish Grill with friends who

live in the Bridgewater area. It was a Saturday nite

and the place was packed.

The fish is fresh and definetly chain cookie cutter fare.

In terms of Red Lobster compared to this place, Bonefish

Grill is 4 stars compared to Red's minus infinity stars. Its

a place that is fairly loud, but comforting with excellent

customer service and fun. Not a place for outstanding seafood.

Bonefish is owned by the same group that has Carraba's and Outback. I've been to the one that opened here in Syracuse last year - and it's not bad for a chain. I agree that it totally outclasses Red Lobster but that's not hard to do.

Asessed on its own merits I find it to be a place that will provide a decent piece of fish that's very fresh and properly cooked. Skip the sauces... have realistic expectations for the side dishes and expect it to be noisy and crowded.

Oh - and the prices are reasonable. All in all it's one of the better chains out there. I finally tried a Legal Seafood location (on Long Island) a few months after trying Bonefish. It was decidely better - more sedate, noisier presentation, better sides, less crowded etc.. But the difference wasn't a quantum leap like the difference between Red Lobster and Bonefish.

Bonefish is owned by the same group that has Carraba's and Outback.  I've been to the one that opened here in Syracuse last year - and it's not bad for a chain.  I agree that it totally outclasses Red Lobster but that's not hard to do.

Asessed on its own merits I find it to be a place that will provide a decent piece of fish that's very fresh and properly cooked. Skip the sauces...  have realistic expectations for the side dishes and expect it to be noisy and crowded.

Oh - and the prices are reasonable. All in all it's one of the better chains out there.  I finally tried a Legal Seafood location (on Long Island) a few months after trying Bonefish.  It was  decidely better - more sedate, noisier presentation, better sides, less crowded etc..  But the difference wasn't a quantum leap like the difference between Red Lobster and Bonefish.

I been meaning to try it on one of my bi-weekly shopping trips to Wegmans (Dewitt Store) but have yet too.

My expectations are not high but thought it would be a decent meal after three to four hour's of grocery shopping. :laugh:

Robert R

Bonefish is owned by the same group that has Carraba's and Outback.  I've been to the one that opened here in Syracuse last year - and it's not bad for a chain.  I agree that it totally outclasses Red Lobster but that's not hard to do.

Asessed on its own merits I find it to be a place that will provide a decent piece of fish that's very fresh and properly cooked. Skip the sauces...  have realistic expectations for the side dishes and expect it to be noisy and crowded.

Oh - and the prices are reasonable. All in all it's one of the better chains out there.  I finally tried a Legal Seafood location (on Long Island) a few months after trying Bonefish.  It was  decidely better - more sedate, noisier presentation, better sides, less crowded etc..  But the difference wasn't a quantum leap like the difference between Red Lobster and Bonefish.

I been meaning to try it on one of my bi-weekly shopping trips to Wegmans (Dewitt Store) but have yet too.

My expectations are not high but thought it would be a decent meal after three to four hour's of grocery shopping. :laugh:

Bonefish Griil - regardless of the location - tends to be jammed and they don't accept reservations. But if you get there early enough you can probably score a table without a lengthy wait. Or do what we did - sit on stools at a shared counter in the bar area. We got to chat with the folks who sat across from us.... didn't have to wait for a table.... and it was a lively spot to sit. But after an afternoon of dodging carts and shopping at Wegman's - I think lively is not what I'd be looking for :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Great martini's

had a spicy shrimp dish that was pretty good too.

decent/fresh/inexpensive seafood, good for a night out w/out breaking the bank.

But based on my observations and of some of the above, they must really be trying to pull you in on the great drinks...worked for me!

According to the websites, there will be a Bonefish location in Pine Brook (Rt 46) and a Cheeseburger in Paradise in Wayne (Rt 46, Ramada Inn). Agreed ... looking at the menus, the drinks seem to be the draw (and where the profit lies) ... but, a good alternative to the usual TGI Fridays and Houlihan's we've had for decades ...

• 6 months later...

Went to Bonefish for the first time last night (the one in Depford, NJ). I've actually had much better meals at the local Red Lobster. :wacko:

The Ceviche Martini appetizer they're pushing right now? OK ceviche, HORRIBLE tortilla chips served with it. Either soggy or terribly oversalted and overseasoned.

My "ahi" tuna was cooked to my preference (just seared) but terribly cut - instead of a steak as I was expecting I got these big awkward-to-eat chunks that were chewy from tendons--one of the worst presented pieces of tuna I've ever seen.

Bananas Foster dessert - great ice cream but overly sauced and too sweet otherwise.

All in all quite disappointing for a meal for 2 that came out to over $100 with 2 drinks each. I won't be rushing back.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |