• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago - Schwa - Prairie Grass Cafe - Butter

molto e

I will start with a tip of the cap to my Dad, Sunday night dinner: crab salad, crispy bone marrow and lamb four ways-shoulder, shank, leg and rack-not bad for a lawyer.

Schwa Restaurant Hours mon - sat 5:30-10:30 sun closed

1466 n ashland

Phone

http://www.schwarestaurant.com/index2.htm

I had the pleasure of trying Schwa for dinner and I was very happy with meal. Chef Michael Carlson and Sous Chef Nathan Klingbail cooked, served and cleared on this particular evening. I do not remember a dining experience where the chefs were running the whole show. The dining room is very small, about 26 seats and this night there were two chefs from Alinea dining, a person from Charlie Trotter's, Spiaggia, and a few from Moto so needless to say the insiders know the quality of the fare coming out of the kitchen.

gallery_30892_2281_770167.jpg

Chef Carlson heading back to the kitchen to bring out the next course

Chef Carlson worked with two of my favorite Chicago Chefs- Grant Achatz (Trio)and Paul Bartolotta (Spiaggia) so I knew that I was in store for a treat. What I did not know was that I would have one of my favorite dishes of the year! We went with the truffle tasting menu and brought our own wine as Schwa is BYOB/W.

Amuse:

gallery_30892_2281_192587.jpg

Confit of eggplant, sliced radish, baby arugula and pickled ?

First Course:

gallery_30892_2281_640526.jpg

White Anchovy- celery root puree, apple olive oil puree, shaved apples, manchego cheese

This is a salad to get a little bit of every thing in each bite

Second Course:

gallery_30892_2281_259095.jpg

Prosciutto consomme- micro arugula, crispy prosciutto chip, melon

Third Course:

gallery_30892_2281_71625.jpg

Beets- pickled beets, beet powder, beet glaze, parsley, goat cheese

Fourth Course:

gallery_30892_2281_1147139.jpg

Sweetbreads, Roasted Potato, Potato Puree, Rosemary, Taleggio, Truffle Honey and Shaved White Truffle

This is one of the best dishes that I have eaten all year. All the flavors melded perfectly and I really wanted another course of it. I wish I had eaten it slower- delicious!!!!!!!!!!!

Fifth Course:

gallery_30892_2281_133068.jpg

Veal Cheeks, Sea Scallop, Golden Chanterelles, Brussel Sprout, Parsnip Puree, Truffles-very solid dish

Sixth Course:

gallery_30892_2281_430810.jpg

Jerusalem Artichoke Puree with Raspberry Jelly and Sunflower Sprouts

Seventh Course:

gallery_30892_2281_441881.jpg

gallery_30892_2281_668770.jpg

Pork- belly, tenderloin, raisins, homemade saurkraut- very good

Eighth Course:

gallery_30892_2281_2896.jpg

Concord Grape Sorbet

Ninth Course:

gallery_30892_2281_797490.jpg

Spicy Charred Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Salty Caramel, Roasted Banana and Ginger Custard

Tenth Course:

gallery_30892_2281_341494.jpg

Whipped Creme Fraiche, Chocolate Brownie, Ice Cream ?, Pumpkin Seeds and I am not sure what else

gallery_30892_2281_940106.jpg

Schwa was great and I would definitely go back to try more of Chefs Carlson and Klingbail's creations. YOU MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS, because the room is very small. I only wish white truffle season was not coming to a close so I could have the Sweetbreads course again.

Prarie Grass Cafe

601 Skokie Blvd Northbrook Il, 60062 (847) 205-4433

http://www.prairiegrasscafe.com/index.cfm

I had the pleasure of meeting Ronnie S. for lunch and I do not think Ronnie will ever trust me to find my way to the burbs again. I arrived a little late to Northbrook via Barrington and got to try Prairie Grass for the first time.

gallery_30892_2283_1063734.jpg

Ron had the Crispy Chicken Breast Salad

gallery_30892_2283_89202.jpg

I had the "Knife and Fork Chicken Club"

gallery_30892_2283_409470.jpg

gallery_30892_2283_955814.jpg

Cookies for dessert and as you can see a plate of cookies are no match for Ron and I

gallery_30892_2283_422185.jpg

Prarie Grass Cafe is very solid with great service. I am glad that I did not stop at Charlie Beinlichs for a burger on the way, but it was tempting.

My last meal in Chicago was the best and it is on my list of best places to eat in town-RUN DON'T WALK TO BUTTER RESTAURANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Butter Restaurant

130 S. Green Street

t. 312-666-9813

http://www.butterchicago.com/

I have heard how good Butter was by a few of my friends, but I had not had the opportunity to try it. I am kicking myself that I did not come by sooner to sample Chef Ryan Poli's work. Owner Jason Chan said when he read the resume of Chef Poli that he thought that it was a hoax, but it is not. Chef Poli has worked at Le Francais, The French Laundry and went to Madrid to work in the kitchen of La Broche without a place to live or command of the Spanish language. This is one skilled Chef and should be a candidate for the James Beard Foundation's "Rising Star Award" for Chefs 30 and under.

Our meal started with some snacks being dropped off at the table.

gallery_30892_2284_622897.jpg

Herbed crackers, truffle popcorn and additive housemade potato chips

I did not know that the Chef does tasting menus, so we ordered A La Carte. I can only say this, I dined with four other people and every plate was scraped clean with every course. Not to mention, I had to have the kitchen deliver some extra vanilla foam that was part of one of my favorite dishes of the year, but more on that later.

Amuse:

gallery_30892_2284_96226.jpg

Sunchoke soup with curry oil

Appetizers:

gallery_30892_2284_427531.jpg

Chef Poli's spin on the tuna nicoise salad- Sashimi of Hamachi, tomato marmalade, black olive tapenade, haricot vert, quail eggs, herbs and roasted garlic dressing. Excellent!

gallery_30892_2284_891580.jpg

gallery_30892_2284_653724.jpg

The Butter sampler platter with 10 oysters, 4 clams, 4 snow crab claws, 4 Hawaiian Blue Prawns and Ceviche ( Rock Shrimp, Squid, Monkfish, Halibut, Scallops, Lemon, Jalapeno and Tomato

With a dizzying array of dipping sauces

gallery_30892_2284_1071898.jpg

gallery_30892_2284_174422.jpg

gallery_30892_2284_379783.jpg

Lemon Vinaigrette, Seaweed Gelee, Mignonette, Olive and Tomato Vinaigrette, Cocktail Sauce, Spicy Mayo, Sriracha, Ponzu and Horseradish

I loved the plating and all the sauces were great

gallery_30892_2284_319404.jpg

Foie Gras- cipolini onions, brioche, caramel sauce, spicy black pepper reduction.

The Foie was perfectly cooked and the flavor combinations were great. I wish the piece of Foie was bigger, but I do love Foie so.....

gallery_30892_2284_329873.jpg

Foam of tortilla chips and a shot of guacamole- the tortilla foam was excellent

Entrees:

gallery_30892_2284_212930.jpg

Duck: confit cabbage, glazed turnips, foie gras, spicy chocolate

Notice the piece of foie, no oxidation around the edges ( dark part due to poaching the torchon). The Chefs that have spent time with Thomas Keller appreciate the refinement of triming the piece so only goodness is served.

gallery_30892_2284_191995.jpg

Tenderloin and Short Rib: braised winter greens, celery root, espresso sauce

The short rib was perfectly braised and tender.

gallery_30892_2284_1025286.jpg

Salmon: lentil ragout, root vegetables, glazed beets, red wine sauce

I am not a big fan of cooked Salmon, but my friend declared it delicious and gave me a bite and it was.

gallery_30892_2284_212159.jpg

Chicken and Lobster: sous vide chicken breast, buttered lobster, orzo, chanterelle mushrooms, creamy leeks, lobster broth

The breast was that cooked sous vide was delicious and the orzo was great.

gallery_30892_2284_192244.jpg

gallery_30892_2284_105796.jpg

Vanilla Foam- fresh berry salad with meyer lemon sorbet, encased in vanilla foam

Now this is one of the best dishes that I ate in 2005. As Ferran Adria says there are good foams and bad foams, this was a good one. This was light, fresh and with perfectly nuanced flavors. I have to get the recipe for the vanilla foam.

gallery_30892_2284_676639.jpg

gallery_30892_2284_459770.jpg

Cheese

Desserts:

gallery_30892_2284_211299.jpg

Toffee Cake-walnut toffee cake with orange caramel sauce, grand marnier cream two citrus tuille and chocolate sauce

gallery_30892_2284_185722.jpg

Sorbet of the Moment: mixed berries, ginger walnut crumble, palmiers

gallery_30892_2284_875939.jpg

Lemon-lemon tart/ so light and good

gallery_30892_2284_115390.jpg

Trio of Brulee's- Kaffit lime and lemon grass with candied lemon, chocolate and almond with roasted almonds, caramel apple with fresh apple

gallery_30892_2284_750390.jpg

Green tea truffles and chocolate filled spritzer cookies

I can not wait to go back to Butter and have Chef Poli do a tasting menu for me

Good Eating,

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Great report, Eliot. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. It was great meeting you and I really enjoyed our lunch.

Schwa and Butter are both on my wish list for 2006 and I hope to get to both in the very near future.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I have to say, I am not as over the moon as others on Butter. Granted, I only went once, but I just wasn't that impressed (especially given the hype). Maybe we were there on an off night, who knows? Perhaps a return trip is in order.

I will say that it looks like there were some new dishes on the menu that weren't there when I was there (the chicken and lobster, the tortilla foam), so maybe things have evolved a bit.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Another great report, Molto. Both Butter and Schwa look like they would be right up my alley. I may have to expand my Chicago wish list a bit more.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

molto e.

everything looks spectacular. in my last stint in chicago this summer (4 months), i don't think schwa had opened (although it was on the dining radar) and butter was too new to venture. prairie grass cafe was one of my favorites (although i had brunch only).

looking forward to visiting all!

cheers.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

molto e.

the schwa food presentations have an "organic" placement about them - how interesting... the sauerkraut and raisins, for instance, almost look as if they are crawing out of the plate. as does the white anchovy in one of the beginning courses. i don't say this to be disgusting, rather just an observation.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

molto e.

the schwa food presentations have an "organic" placement about them - how interesting...  almost look as if they are crawing out of the plate. 

U.E.

Interesting observation, I had not noticed that until you mentioned it. The placement of the proscuitto in the consomme course also. I have enjoyed your photo collection.

Good Eating,

Molto E

• 2 weeks later...
molto e.

the schwa food presentations have an "organic" placement about them - how interesting...   almost look as if they are crawing out of the plate.  

U.E.

Interesting observation, I had not noticed that until you mentioned it. The placement of the proscuitto in the consomme course also. I have enjoyed your photo collection.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Elliot (if i may).

I know we've had "encounters" on the France forum, and I've enjoyed your reviews and suggestions. I am "plotting" my next visit to Chicago and am considering a go at either Schwa or Butter... how would you differ the two? While I like experimental, I also like good tasting food (almost a needless comment)... and as you may have recollected from my belabouring trials in Paris, you know I have my particulars :raz: ...

Would appreciate a more in depth exposition on these two restaurants, if you please.

Ulterior Epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

U.E.,

You may use Eliot , but then I think it is time you pull off the "mask" and reveal your true identity.

But to answer your question, why does it have to be Schwa or Butter. I would not put them against each other at all. I have complete respect for what both places are doing. The Chefs come from my favorite "Chef Mentors", Chef Carlson of Schwa (Achatz, Bartolotta) and Chef Poli of Butter ( Keller, Arola). If you want to listen to a great 30 minute interview of Chef Poli go to

http://hungrymag.com/

and Mike Nagrant also wrote a very nice article in the Chicago Journal about Chef Poli so that should give you all you want to know about Butter.

Blue-collar Butter by Mike Nagrant

Schwa Website

Their website has the menu so that will give you a taste of Schwa. I would like to hit Chef's Carlson and Klingbail up for a lesson on how to make that Quail Egg Ravioli. I think that may be a spin on one of Chef Bartolotta's dishes that I loved.

Good Eating,

Molto E

You may use Eliot , but then I think it is time you pull off the "mask" and reveal your true identity.

Well, then I better stick with calling you molto e :laugh: !

But to answer your question, why does it have to be Schwa or Butter.

Assuming this is a question, my answer is: I only have one free night to play with.

I would not put them against each other at all. I have complete respect for what both places are doing. The Chefs come from my favorite "Chef Mentors", Chef Carlson of Schwa (Achatz, Bartolotta) and Chef Poli of Butter ( Keller, Arola). If you want to listen to a great 30 minute interview of Chef Poli go to

http://hungrymag.com/

and Mike Nagrant also wrote a very nice article in the Chicago Journal about Chef Poli so that should give you all you want to know about  Butter.

Blue-collar Butter by Mike Nagrant

Schwa Website

Their website has the menu so that will give you a taste of Schwa. I would like to hit Chef's Carlson and Klingbail up for a lesson on how to make that Quail Egg Ravioli. I think that may be a spin on one of Chef Bartolotta's dishes that I loved.

I'll take a look at the interview - I've already perused the menus online.

U.E. (but I'll let you call me "Ulterior Epicure" :biggrin: )

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

U.E.,

You will enjoy the interview, that site plans to have one podcast interview a week and next week is Doug from Hot Doug's.

Good Eating,

Molto E