• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your 2006 Chicago-area restaurant wish list?

ronnie_suburban

I don't think I'll ever have the opportunity to hit all the places I want to hit but if chances were unlimited, here are local the places I'd hit in 2006 (in no particular order):

Scylla

-- A place about which I've only heard positive things. Menu looks great; can't wait to try it.

Atwood Cafe

-- Turned out the very best thing I tasted at Recipe for Relief.

Avenues

-- Would love to sit at the Chef's Bar next time around.

Butter

-- Lots of buzz and good comments from friends whose opinions I trust.

Adobo Grill (North & Wells)

-- A friend, who I agree with about other places, described this place to me and it made me really want to try it.

Custom House

-- How can I not try something new from this proven team?

Narra

-- I'm skeptical but I've read so much about it, I want to give it a whirl.

Le Francais

-- Really want to return now that Roland Liccioni is back.

Carlos

-- Can't stop thinking about how much I like it here. The real deal.

Osteria via Stato

-- Opinions of this place run hot and cold but some folks I trust really enjoy it.

Banana Moon

-- Very close to my house and with a good pedigree. I hope it's great.

Schwa

-- A consensus of trusted opinions are all raves and I want to experience it for myself.

NaHa

-- Had one of my all-time favorite meals here over 2 years ago. I need to get back and soon.

Paprikash

-- Haven't been since the ownership change and right now is the best season for it.

Hot Chocolate

-- Had some memorably great stuff there recently and can't want to go back and try more of it.

Green Zebra

-- Really want to experience a winter menu here. Been once -- in the summer -- and loved it.

Blackbird

-- Haven't been since October '04. Did have a bite at Recipe for Relief but would to have more soon.

Avec

-- Same as Blackbird but I've been there slightly more recently.

Moto

-- Absolutely need to try it. Only had a "taste" at Recipe for Relief and I'm very curious

And last but not least . . .

Alinea

-- Pretty much my favorite restaurant at the moment. If I get there fewer than 4 times in 2006, I'll feel like I missed out on something.

These are all the ones I can think of at the moment. I doubt I'll get to half of them but you never know . . .

Anyone else have a wish list? Please share. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I agree with just about all of those - some places I've been to and others I haven't yet. My frontrunners are (if I had to pick just 3):

Schwa

Moto

Avenues

A couple not on the list -

Kaze

Matsumoto

Places I want to go to more often:

Sweets & Savories - what a bargain!

Bistro Campagne - ohhh, it's the chicken that brings me back

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

-any place without my kids-

Seriously:

Alinea

Carlos

Paprikash

Prairie Grass

Quartino

Les Nomades

Ron and Julie's

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I would love to get back to Chicago in '06. Another visit to Alinea would be tops on my list. I would also love to get back to Moto and to Avenues for the first time. While many of the other restaurants listed sound great, I don't have the sense that any of them are special enough to compete with these for the limited time I would have in your fair city.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am curious to know where people would want to go beyond chicagoland.

As fortunate as Chicago is to have many, many excellent places, my dreams run to places near and far -- some very far away...  a new thread needed, or can we post em in here Ron?

happy holidays.

Hi Nick. The best place to have that particular conversation would probably be here. I started a new thread in our General Food Topics forum.

I like everyone's local lists so far, too. I haven't been to Les Nomades since their double chef reshuffling but it was truly great the last time I was there and I'd love to go back. I'm honestly not sure I'd enjoy Matsumoto but I'd love to try it anyway.

If I'm not mistaken, Takkatsu is the reincarnation of the place by the same name which used to be in Hubbard Woods, right? I'd love to get back there too as I always enjoyed it when it was closer to my home. BTW, is Hubbard Woods part of Glencoe or Winnetka?

Sweet and Savories, Bistro Campagne are both rolling along nicely and I'd love to hit both of those as well -- S&S's again and BC for the first time.

=R=

-any place without my kids-

Seriously:

Alinea

Carlos

Paprikash

Prairie Grass

Quartino

Les Nomades

Ron and Julie's

correction there elfin,

Ron and Julie's is not a restaurant, yet. :blink:

:blink::blush::smile:

YT, as long as you hook me up with your egg roll recipe, I'm sure we can turn a nice profit! :biggrin:

=R=

If I'm not mistaken, Takkatsu is the reincarnation of the place by the same name which used to be in Hubbard Woods, right?  I'd love to get back there too as I always enjoyed it when it was closer to my home.  BTW, is Hubbard Woods part of Glencoe or Winnetka?

Yes, I understand it is a reincarnation but never went to the old one.

When I lived in Glencoe I always thought of Hubbard Woods as being part of Winnetka. Maybe if you live in Winnetka it's the reverse.

ronnie: I guess I'm going to have to get to Atwood Cafe, if your rec is added to my daughter's. It's her new favorite Chicago restaurant, and whenever she's in from LA she and her husband make sure to pay a visit. Over Thanksgiving they got there too late for lunch, only to find out they serve a fabulous Tea. That's my kind of restaurant.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Since i was lucky enough for moto's and Trotters last year I would love to hit up Alinea.

Not to mention one or two good Sushi bars while in town. Tru or trio, i get those two mixxed up but i know one of them was on my list last year i missed.

Since i was lucky enough for moto's and Trotters last year I would love to hit up Alinea.

Not to mention one or two good Sushi bars while in town.  Tru or trio, i get those two mixxed up but i know one of them was on my list last year i missed.

Tru! I'm glad someone mentioned it. A great destination to be sure.

=R=

Re: Hubbard Woods, thanks for the information. I grew-up and lived in Glencoe for many years and I never quite figured that one out. It must have been one helluva war between Glencoe and Winnetka for that piece of ground. Please tell me that the 7-11, at least, is Glencoe's or my civic pride will be deeply wounded :wacko::biggrin:

Maggie, Atwood gets mentioned frequently in the Sun-Times Tastings Around Town column each week, so I've been hearing about them for a while. But, for a long time, all I knew about them was that they had an active publicist. At Recipe for Relief, I finally got to try a few bites and I was delighted. I'm not surprised to hear that your girl thinks the place is a stand-out. Executive Chef Heather Terhune has quite a resume and after my brief experience at their table that night, it's clear to me that she can really cook.

=R=

Re:  Hubbard Woods, thanks for the information.  I grew-up and lived in Glencoe for many years and I never quite figured that one out.  It must have been one helluva war between Glencoe and Winnetka for that piece of ground.  Please tell me that the 7-11, at least, is Glencoe's or my civic pride will be deeply wounded :wacko::biggrin:

Actually, the 7-11 just may be on the Glencoe side of the border. I'll have to do some sleuthing and report back.

Re:  Hubbard Woods, thanks for the information.  I grew-up and lived in Glencoe for many years and I never quite figured that one out.  It must have been one helluva war between Glencoe and Winnetka for that piece of ground.  Please tell me that the 7-11, at least, is Glencoe's or my civic pride will be deeply wounded :wacko::biggrin:

Actually, the 7-11 just may be on the Glencoe side of the border. I'll have to do some sleuthing and report back.

7-11 is, indeed in Glencoe, as are Blockbuster Video and Boston Blackie's (verified by all three websites), which are in the small strip mall just south. But the Walgreens website lists the town location of its store in that same strip mall as Winnetka. Hmmm....

What was the original question?!? Oh, yes. Winnetka's website shows the Hubbard Woods shopping district as Green Bay Road from Tower on the south to Scott on the north. Scott is the street which forms the southern boundary of that strip mall.

Back to restaurant wish lists:

I'd love to try Schwa - sounds like a wonderful concept.

Di Pescara, the new Lettuce Entertain You restaurant in Northbrook Court, is perfectly respectable, a sort of cross between Shaw's and Wildfire, with some "grown-up" pasta dishes thrown in for good measure. Nice suburban-chic atmosphere (Lettuce usually does a good job at setting the stage) and a curiously short Alpana Singh-selected wine list; the choices are good, however.

Saltaus has already bitten the dust, sort of, with the departure of Chef Taus as a partner. Not sure what that's all about, but his Zealous is the kind of place that doesn't get mentioned too often yet is still around.

I want to spend more time at Custom House in '06!

Edited by gmi3804 (log)

Saltaus has already bitten the dust, sort of, with the departure of Chef Taus as a partner. Not sure what that's all about, but his Zealous is the kind of place that doesn't get mentioned too often yet is still around.

Zealous is a great restaurant. Add it to your wishlist...fairly creative and very tasty.

:cool: This thread piqued my interest in Schwa. Put it on my wish list!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Rock and Roll McDonalds. No, really I want to go. I want to have a Royale with Cheese and some pommes frites , enjoy a milkshake all while sitting on a Barcelona chair. It sounds all so international.

Sweet Baby Ray's. The one that had the bbq sauce to be found at the grocery, has opened up a restaurant out in the wee suburbs.

Takkatsu. Been to their North Shore location many times, because of proximity, but now that they have moved, I haven't had the time. They make a good weiner schnitzel.

Trader Vic's. Don't close on us now. I need my half-priced Thursday mai-tais.

Matsumoto. One word, Kaiseki. Although it would be nice to have the first experience at an authentic Ryokan.

Red Lobster. It has been way too long since I was there. I miss there beverages served in fish shaped glass.

I've been invited to Matsumoto on the 25th. I did not know it was so well known, at least among food geeks.

I'll be looking forward to hearing (reading) your take on it.

=R=

Next year Dining is imperative, got to get out of the neighborhood joints.

For winter time.

Trio Atelier - Curious with the recent team and menu.

Pho Xe Tang - need hot spicy pho

Bistro Campage - mussels, frites and ale

Spring time.

Scylla - creative seafood

La Sardine - been twice to Le Bouchon would like to try this sister location

Feed - Southern Fried Chicken

Summer time.

Crofton on Wells - A popular standard - walking distance after work

Kevin - Another popular good restaurant - also near work

Lula Cafe - great place on a hot summer night.

Fall time.

Blackbird - been to avec - should have salumi dried by then

Wing Hoe - So bored with my neighborhood take out, reviews sound good

moto - good chance for a reservations and extra cash by fall.

Only been to Bistro Campage and Lula's ... another try is in my neighborhood a new

Ecuadorian restaurant La Humita any one been there ?