• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iowa City

jm chen

Is it possible to have a bad meal in Iowa City? If so, I haven't found it yet.

This was the second time I spent a full week at the Iowa Summer Writers' Festival, and the second time I had a full week of awesome dining experiences. Just wanted to give some love where love is due.

New experiences this time: sushi at Takanami, giant salad at Atlas, "margherita pizza" (with goat cheese and capers, so, not a traditional margherita) at Vito's, udon at that Z noodle place, and two all-you-can-eat Indian lunch buffets, a vegetarian version at Masala and a non-vegetarian one at a place I think was called India Cafe. Slightly better than Masala and had more options. Delicious.

Old favorites that got lots of repeat visits: Bread Garden for the soup and sandwich lunch, The Cottage for hearty or light breakfasts, The Java House for chai. And New Pioneer Co-op to stock up on all the cheeses and wines to snack on in between the other meals.

Places I love but didn't get around to this time: Whitey's, Red Avocado, Devotay.

Damn, but that's a good eating town. It's a shame I only get there for one week a year.

:wub:

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Well, in about another six months you can sign up for a presidential campaign and then spend all the time you need there. That's how all my friends and I learned all about Iowa cusisine -- and those damn cold Iowa winters. :laugh:

Apparently the food's improved since my last dash through the state

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I was raised in northern Iowa... the food is much better in Iowa City.

I have fond memories a great hippie/farmer diner on Decorah's main street -- bacon and eggs and yogurt with granola both being bestsellers. Nothing fancy, but a great feed.

And less fond memories of most other places I ate up there. (Where were you raised?)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Is the Airliner still open in Iowa City? While I was a student at the writers' workshop, that was my favoriate place for a big old burger lunch. It turned into a sorority/fraternity hangout in the evenings, but during the day it couldn't be beat.

I was also fond of the Brown Bottle for Italian food. Haven't been back to Iowa City in 15 years, though, so it's possible neither of these places still exist.

Is the Airliner still open in Iowa City?  While I was a student at the writers' workshop, that was my favoriate place for a big old burger lunch.  It turned into a sorority/fraternity hangout in the evenings, but during the day it couldn't be beat.

I was also fond of the Brown Bottle for Italian food.  Haven't been back to Iowa City in 15 years, though, so it's possible neither of these places still exist.

The Airliner is shuttered for renovations but they swear it will be reopening in the fall. There was an article in the Daily Iowan showing the work -- what a gorgeous tin ceiling.

The Brown Bottle is still open. My whole class had dinner there. Passable ravioli and a hearty wine flight of "other reds." I was raised near Cedar Falls where the original BB is/was located -- I remember them primarily for refusing to serve me an ice cream drink for dessert when I was 16. I got the cobbler instead. It was reeeeally good cobbler.

Places I love but didn't get around to this time: Whitey's, Red Avocado, Devotay.

Damn, but that's a good eating town. It's a shame I only get there for one week a year.

:wub:

JM- very sorry you missed us this time around, we're all celebrating Devotay's big win! The readers of the Iowa City Press-Citizen have voted Devotay the BEST RESTAURANT IN THE AREA, and runner-up for MOST ROMANTIC. This after the readers of the Iowa Source, last March, voted Devotay the BEST RESTAURANT IN THE REGION, MOST ROMANTIC and MOST UNUSUAL ATMOSPHERE. (read about it at our website)

I know, I'm bragging, but I can't help it. I'm awfully proud of my crew. :raz:

Thanks for the endorsement, JM!

Hope you'll be back soon

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Congrats, Chef! You must be feeling great about now. I don't blame you for tooting your own horn. Those are some nice honors you and your crew have received.

Thanks for the link, btw.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Thank you, Ronnie.

Long as I'm talking about my home town, lemme throw a few faves of my own out there:

Mekong (in c'ville) - ya gotta try this BBQ pork sandwich wth the vietnamese cucumbers on a baguette - awesome, and cheap too!

Thai Spice on Gilbert Street - I've never been to Bangkok, but this is some of the best Thai I've ever had - right up there with TAC Thai Quick in Chicago

Sam's Pizza - Actually, Pagiliai's has the best pizza, but SAM'S has the best calzones and a really good, spicy dipping sauce.

Takanami - JM Chen is right to recommned this place. Although the entrees can be a bit pricy for me, they're always dang tasty and the sushi there is unmatched in the area. Very cool fish tank too.

Saigon to Bangkok - just a block from Mekong, it's like the restaurant on the moon - great food, no atmosphere. Get the Vietnamese pancake, the squid salad, and the papaya chicken.

The Motley Cow - just around the corner from my joint. Very small restaurant with a very small menu, dinner only, food's always fresh and creative.

The Lincoln Cafe - OK, half an hour up route 1 in Mt. Vernon, but still well worth a mention here. Bring your own wine and enjoy some of the best, most innovaative food in eastern Iowa.

Iquana's Cafe - North Liberty. here's the thing, ordr a pitcher of beer and four glasses for your table. You get the full pitcher, and all the glasses are full too. They's never have to advertise. Now if they would just pour some better beers...

John's - not a restaurant, but still worthy of note. This family-owned grocery has been an Iowa City institution for more than 150 years. John's has, by far, the biggest and best wine selection between Chicago & Denver. 1500 select wines, over 450 beers. Good fried chicken in their deli, too.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

John's - not a restaurant, but still worthy of note. This family-owned grocery has been an Iowa City institution for more than 150 years. John's has, by far, the biggest and best wine selection between Chicago & Denver. 1500 select wines, over 450 beers. Good fried chicken in their deli, too.

It is also known as "Dirty John's" because they were the first place in the area to sell Playboy. At least that's how I heard it.

They do have a fantastic beer selection and even have their own brand. Genius idea -- they sell a "summer sampler" which is one bottle each of six different summer beers, including theirs, Pyramid, and this weird Orange Blossom thing that smells like Fanta but tastes like... beer.

Congrats on Devotay's win, Kurt, and next time I'll definitely make a trip over.

Yes Iowa City has decidely changed for the culinary better in the almost twenty years I've lived here. It still is possible to get a bad meal however (the guilty shall remain nameless). I've been traveling a lot this summer and hadn't seen that Devotay has now been voted Best in Area (displacing Linn St), a well deserved honor, Kurt.

Don't have much to add to the above. The only place I frequent that hasn't been mentioned is a sandwich shop called Baldy's. Very inexpensive and very good wraps. Haven't had a chance to try Joseph's yet. Has anyone else?

My favorites: Lincoln Cafe, Takanami, Motley Cow, Devotay, and Linn St.

Let me add that the wine selection at New Pi in Coralville has, to my mind, eclipsed John's, which is coasting on its reputation of late. For beer, however, they have no peer.

David, in Iowa City

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I graduated from Iowa in May, 2004. Got my undergrad there in Business (Marketing degree and an Entrepreneual Cert.).

Loved the food there. Pioneer co-op, as mentioned....nice cheeses (although now that I live in the 'big' city (chicago) I have wayyyy more cheese selections and shops to chose from...yay!).

Baldy's, as mentioned above, great wraps. One of my 8 roomates and friend since the 4th grade was obsessed with them!

I loved the Bread Garden...soups and sandwhiches as mentioned above also

The atlas...awesome meals (dinner and lunches)

Linn St.....

Gumbies was a classic late night delivery option for us college students after a night out on the town...mmmm pocky sticks (bread covered in cheese, with dipping sauces of garlic butter, ranch, marinara and a cheese sauce)

I, personally, was obsessed with Pancheros...think Subway but not subs...rather burridos. You choose your fillings including meat/protein and fillers.....they make the tortilla right before your eyes....ball of dough, pressed flat, thrown on grill, 20 seconds or so per side....and voila! MMMMM

Whitey'y ice cream and frozen yogurt....to die for creamy, dreamy goodness. My best friend at college (also from my hometown friend since 3rd grade, albiet different friend) was obsessed with Whiteys...especially after an evening full of studying for finals at the library or business building

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I, personally, was obsessed with Pancheros...think Subway but not subs...rather burridos. You choose your fillings including meat/protein and fillers.....they make the tortilla right before your eyes....ball of dough, pressed flat, thrown on grill, 20 seconds or so per side....and voila! MMMMM

The best genuine Mexican in Iowa City is now La Reyna, on Keokuk St. It's a bodega with a little dining room on the side, and they serve chicken tacos and tamales that I've considered selling my children for.

Other stuff worthy of note is:

the chicken samosas at Aladdin out on the strip

The fried pickles and ALL the beers at Old Capitol on Gilbert

Panini at Guidos (also on Gilbert)

And I just enjoyed a nice Indian buffet lunch at Exotic India, hidden behind the (repulsive) Taco John's in C'Ville.

Also hidden back there is my friend Soleil's quirky, self titled place. Delicious Afro-Carribean food.

Bochner Chocolates - True hi-end European-style chocolates. produced on the south side, but readily available at their retail place (again out on the C'Ville Strip), and also at Prairie Table

And speaking of Prairie Table, it is a truly great gourmet shop with wonderful cheeses, a small but good wine selection, great sandwiches and a fine array of cooking classes to boot.

A little farther afield there's redhead in Solon, doing great things with local ingredients, and the classy Italian bistro Cafe Dodici in Washington.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Gumbies was a classic late night delivery option for us college students after a night out on the town...mmmm pocky sticks (bread covered in cheese, with dipping sauces of garlic butter, ranch, marinara and a cheese sauce)

.. and pizza delivery boxes the size of a football field!! :raz:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

.. and pizza delivery boxes the size of a football field!! :raz:

The Pizza is much better at:

Pagliai's

Sam's

Wig & Pen

Old Capitol Brewing

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com