• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are Your Thoughts About Beer Tasting Notes?

Susan in FL

I'm seeing some really good "official" or "properly done" tasting notes (TN) being posted. I am wondering how you all feel about the possibility of posting a separate (or additional?) topic when you're posting the notes you took on a specific beer. I don't want anybody to feel like they are being monitored by the Beer Review Police here or anything like that, but I can see advantages to threads being devoted to TNs on particular beers.

A primary advantage is that if anybody does a search for a specific beer, such TN threads on that beer would come up in the search.

Another thought... If we post TNs on beer, should we coin another phrase to show that it's beer, not wine, for inclusion in the topic title, such as for example "Beer TN: Black Sheep Brewery Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale" instead of "TN: Black Sheep Brewery Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale"?

In the meantime, and while there is discussion about this, please do feel free to post threads devoted to tasting notes if you are so inclined! I really like them, also because I learn what characteristics to look for when I'm drinking beer. However, this won't mean that a short, informal report on beers won't be welcomed (such as, "this beer is delicious" or "this has great citrusy hop flavors"). :smile:

Did this make any sense at all?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My only concern would be if it is a good or a bad thing for eGullet itself to have a whole boatload of topics with a few replies in each, as opposed to having all of the tasting notes concentrated in groupings. Then again, I must ultimately plead ignorance on the subject. As a poster, I'm fine either way.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

It works well in the wine forum to have both types of topics. As Susan has pointed out, people searching for information on a particular beer will be able to identify threads devoted solely to that beer, while general discussions on particular types of beer or ingredients will probably have more participation. It's actually fun to have both, and even though a specific review might not generate a lot of discussion, sometimes they spark a separate, more general discussion. I say go for it!

PS: My SO and I are amateur beermakers and will be starting another batch soon. We're still working on ales, but may attempt a lager soon as we feel we can utilize our ultra-air-conditioned wine cellar for it. It's just that our cellar is also our tasting room. What would we say to visitors when they walk in and sniff, sniff, gee, what's that strange beer-like aroma? :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I'm seeing some really good "official" or "properly done" tasting notes (TN) being posted.  I am wondering how you all feel about the possibility of posting a separate (or additional?) topic when you're posting the notes you took on a specific beer.  I don't want anybody to feel like they are being monitored by the Beer Review Police here or anything like that, but I can see advantages to threads being devoted to TNs on particular beers.

A primary advantage is that if anybody does a search for a specific beer, such TN threads on that beer would come up in the search.

Another thought...  If we post TNs on beer, should we coin another phrase to show that it's beer, not wine, for inclusion in the topic title, such as for example "Beer TN:  Black Sheep Brewery Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale"  instead of "TN:  Black Sheep Brewery Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale"?

In the meantime, and while there is discussion about this, please do feel free to post threads devoted to tasting notes if you are so inclined!  I really like them, also because I learn what characteristics to look for when I'm drinking beer.  However, this won't mean that a short, informal report on beers won't be welcomed (such as, "this beer is delicious" or "this has great citrusy hop flavors").  :smile:

Did this make any sense at all?

It makes perfect sense to me; an excellent strategy and suggestion.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I hope to see both types of topics, as on the Wine Forum. I must say though that I am enjoying the type of notes being posted on the current threads going on here now. I myself need to brush up on how to write a Tasting Note. I certainly haven't mastered that.

Jeff, we "allow" folks to add their tasting notes as well as scores for the beers they try, here, too! :biggrin: Really I do get what you're saying about the sites devoted to beer, and hope you'll continue to share your impressions and expertise about beer on eG also. I enjoy your posts and appreciate your contribution to this growing forum.

Mary, I got a kick out of the brewing going on in your tasting room!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I hope to see both types of topics, as on the Wine Forum.  I must say though that I am enjoying the type of notes being posted on the current threads going on here now.  I myself need to brush up on how to write a Tasting Note.  I certainly haven't mastered that.

Jeff, we "allow" folks to add their tasting notes as well as scores for the beers they try, here, too!  :biggrin:  Really I do get what you're saying about the sites devoted to beer, and hope you'll continue to share your impressions and expertise about beer on eG also.  I enjoy your posts and appreciate your contribution to this growing forum.

Mary, I got a kick out of the brewing going on in your tasting room!

I am glad that I found this forum. I lurked on the DC Area eG forum for a long time before finally joining and only after joining did I find all of the other wonderful forums that are available. I am also happy to see that the Beer forum has been picking up steam as of late.

My site, it is crappy.

http://www.nothoo.com

I'm on the fence, but mostly because my beer tastes are pretty well-defined, and in my locale, there are painfully few offerings that fit my tastes. :sad:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Ah, yes. We can all bemoan the local markets we're subjected to. Being in Pennsylvania, we get good options... but must purchase by the case to get a half decent price... thankfully there are a good number of mixed cases available now. But it does put a bit of a damper on trying a whole bunch of new beers.

Besides, I drink more of my homebrew than anything commercial right now... and who wants to see TNs for beers you'll never be able to taste yourselves. And there won't be any discussion to hone the fine points, which is half the fun of TNs.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch