• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Kollard Greens

Al_Dente

I'm tasked with making some collard greens for Thanksgiving this year. I've only made them a few times, but in each instance I used ham hocks. What can I substitute to give a similar earthy richness? I was considering roasting some shallots and garlic and adding them at some point in the process, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

Any ideas?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Since there is nothing inherently wrong with the fresh collard greens and the sauteed vegetables you plan on using, if all you are missing is the saltiness and fat of the missing ham hock, I would say that using a piece of kosher smoked turkey will give you that missing ingredient's flavors ... some sort of a kosher sausage might do it as well .. I use Rubashkin's Polish kosher sausage, sparingly, to add the missing "zing" ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Sure. Just buy a smoked turkey leg or two and drop them in there. Check the turkey smoked sausage as well. I've had good luck with that.

Or if you are willing to experiment, could someone actually smoke the greens? Wilt them down, then finish cooking them low and slow in an actual smoker. Just use an oven safe pan, and stick them on the rack.

Wonder if that would work?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Or if you are willing to experiment, could someone actually smoke the greens? Wilt them down, then finish cooking them low and slow in an actual smoker. Just use an oven safe pan, and stick them on the rack.

in a word, Rubashkin .. don't make it too complicated, Al ... :hmmm:

Hmmm, a pan of smoked greens could be interesting. I will also echo the advice of a smoked turkey leg though, or perhaps a couple drops of liquid smoke added to the pot liquor. Don't forget to add a bit of extra fat (olive oil I guess would work, or peanut oil, I suppose butter isn't kosher for all uses?) to make up for the leaner than pork turkey-meat.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I find that chipotles add a nice level to smokiness - if you're looking for that kind of flavor.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Al -- you might know this already, but your best bet for finding the smoked turkey leg will be at one of the kosher markets in Silver Spring.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Cook them in kosher chicken stock and heave in some schmaltz for extra goodness. I do this all the time, and I am in the most unkosher kitchen in the world. It's good, and that's good enough for me! :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Al -- you might know this already, but your best bet for finding the smoked turkey leg will be at one of the kosher markets in Silver Spring.

This is good-- VERY good. I work in Silver Spring. But, alas, I don't know where the kosher markets are. :sad:

But I'll find them! Great idea on the turkey leg folks-- perfect, in fact!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Al,

I've made wonderfully smoky collard greens by using smoked leeks, shallots and onions. I think i used hickory, and a little stovetop smoker.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I do this all the time, and I am in the most unkosher kitchen in the world.

I think your kitchen is probably more kosher than you think .. if you take your pig cooking outside! :laugh:

Turkey and schmaltz should go together, right?

Schmaltz goes with pretty much everything, FistFullaRoux .. with the possible exception of a banana split ... :hmmm:

I've used lots of chopped-up Empire smoked turkey lunch meat. :blush: Along with sauteed onion and a little bit of hot pepper flakes and vinegar. Tasted all right to me, and I usually use smoked hock stock when it's just us without my beloved Aunt Bette who keeps kosher.

I've used lots of chopped-up Empire smoked turkey lunch meat.  :blush:  Along with sauteed onion and a little bit of hot pepper flakes and vinegar. Tasted all right to me, and I usually use smoked hock stock when it's just us without my beloved Aunt Bette who keeps kosher.

I can get a product here in Westport, CT at the Stop and Shop- called Rubashkin's Turkey Schwarma-- bone in turkey thigh--(this has nothing to do with schwarma, by the way) You can use it exactly like a smoked ham hock.

If I can get in MY town- I'm sure it is widely available.

I use it cubed up in any recipe that calls for bacon or ham or proscuitto.

(and slice it and fry it up with eggs or an omelet- YUM)

It very smoky and fatty enough.

The smoked turkey legs, assuming one can find them in the Kosher variety, will work great. Many folks in the African-American community no longer use smoked neckbones or ham hocks in their greens for health and/or religious reasons (both the Muslim and Seventh Day Adventist faiths have dietary prohibitions against pork). I've been havings with the turkey legs for the last couple years and enjoy them very much. Judging by the fat visible the next day on the surface of refrigerated leftover greens.... there's no shortage of fat in the smoked turkey legs. I don't thibnk it's really necessary to add any additional fat - the untrimmed leg with skin has plenty.

Al--

How did the collards work out? Successful?

But here is another recipe question for the Kosher Kontingent:

is there anything to substitute for evaporated milk?

I have a great dairy pumpkin pie that uses it, but I can't imagine what to substitute that would be as good.

I always substitute Coffee Rich for the evaporated milk because it contains no dairy products ... it isn't the same but it does work well enough and I add a bit of brandy to give the pie a bit of that missing item ... :rolleyes: