• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation Near John Wayne Airport?

Schneier

I can see the John Wayne airport from my office window, so I'm pretty familiar with the immediately surrounding eateries. You'll be in Irvine, so there aren't a lot of really fantastic or authentic choices. There are some decent places to dine, but in general, they all kind of have a corporate-restaurant feel to them. You can try:

Houstons

Bistango

Jack Shrimp

Ruth's Chris

My suggestion if you can is to head to Costa Mesa or Newport Beach, time permitting. Irvine isn't exactly a culinary hot spot.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

You'll be in Irvine, so there aren't a lot of really fantastic or authentic choices.

There is "authentic" food in Irvine, but you have to get out of the white areas.

Irvine has the largest population of ethnic Chinese in Orange County. Also, it is home to a large group of Koreans, not sure on the pop stats. Fullerton may rank higher on pop.

That said, the places I would go to are a $20 cab drive each way, therefore not worth it.

China Garden: Easily the best dim sum in Orange County, basically a small dim sum house, has all the basics. Sam Woo is decent only on seafood I think, but in general not as good as CG, IMHO. On a good day, best egg custard tarts on the West Coast IMHO, and it's very strange for me to say that.

GaJu Soft tofu: Korean soft tofu. not as good as the Garden Grove location, but still good. Very pop with Chinese.

Plenty of other places, but mostly on the cheap eats side.

Your best bet is to stay in the business park next to the airport. Houston's is good. Ruth's Chris is always decent if expensive. Both are steakhouses.

In Newport Beach, Pascal's is the best French. They also have a very nice epicerie if you're in a hurry, which I usually am.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

i second bistango. i don't know if the il fornaio there is still in operation, it is down the street from bistango and decent for a chain restaurant...good bread!

other than that, as everyone has said, lots of chain restaurants.

what about "the lab" mall...that's pretty close to john wayne isn't it? there's a southern food place there and i think tim and liza goodall opened a place there as well (though i haven't heard great things)

i should add that i haven't lived in irvine in about seven years, but i know people who still live there and sort of pay attention to what's going on there.

this is great...i drive down to irvine about once a month to visit my cousin and we are always stuck for places to eat. incidentally, anyone know of any good filipino restaurants in irvine? we've looked.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

There is "authentic" food in Irvine, but you have to get out of the white areas.

True indeed, though I was thinking of the areas directly surrounding the airport, for convenience sake and all. Otherwise, hop on the 405 freeway heading South and exit Culver. 99 Ranch Market is there along with a whole load of great Asian stores and restaurants.

what about "the lab" mall...that's pretty close to john wayne isn't it? there's a southern food place there and i think tim and liza goodall opened a place there as well (though i haven't heard great things)

If you take Campus (runs along the airport) to Bristol and turn right, you'll hit The Camp on the left and The Lab on the right after you pass Baker. You can eat at Habana, Memphis, The Lodge (if they don't run out of entrees), Native Foods, or The Gypsy Den. All are good choices.

You can also catch this thread on Costa Mesa area dining.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

this is great...i drive down to irvine about once a month to visit my cousin and we are always stuck for places to eat.  incidentally, anyone know of any good filipino restaurants in irvine?  we've looked.

What about mangga Grill inTustin? I ate there a while ago, but I'm not that familiar with Filipino food so I'm not sure if it was good or not. They had a piano player if that floats your boat.

--edit

Mangga Grill

341 E 1st St , Tustin

714-730-1332

No guarantees. You might find some other places around OC that are better, but that's the closest to Irvine.

--end edit

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW