• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In Search of a Culinary Weekend

My wife's 30th birthday is coming up in June and we're looking to go away for the weekend. She asked that the travel combine natural beauty and a culinary experience -- a perfect discription of the Pacific Northwest. It doesn't have to be any one restaurant or resort for the entire weekend and we want to combine upscale and downscale -- some great farmer's markets, a real local diner with hearty breakfasts and an amazing dinner or three. Is Portland the place? Vancouver? Seattle?

Thanks!

Welcome to eGullet!

You could have a great weekend in any of the three cities that you mention, but if high end dining is a priority for you, I'd have to recommend Vancouver. As a Seattle native, I feel like such a traitor saying this, but I don't think the best here approaches the best there. Vancouver is definitely able to fill the bill on the other types of activities that you mention as well.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Ditto Vancouver. Stay at River Run Cottages on the Frasier River. Take the rowboats out for a serene and leisurely float. Take the bicycles up to the Farmer's Market.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

All three cities can offer you a wonderful culinary adventure, my plug is for Portland. Stay down town at the Heathman, and have dinner at Higgins in the dinning rooom, you will be only a few doors from your Hotel room. If you wait until May you can walk up the park blocks to the Farmer's Market on a Saturday. For Am treats you can jump on the street car and ride down to the Pearl district and pick up a treat at the Pearl Bakery, you can walk off your pastry in the Pearl and then hunt down Crowsenbergs Half and Half on Oak for a good sandwich. If your looking for Brunch I highly reccomend the Daily Cafe on Sundays.

Have Fun

For certain the place for the amazing dinner would have to be West in Vancouver. Our market at Granville Island is not as exciting as Seattle's Pikes Place though. It is unique and clean just not as all encompassing. If you have any interest in Asian food you must come to Vancouver. I have only ever had one good meal in Oregon, At the restaurant in the Vintage Park hotel. If Portland has a gourmet experience I must have missed it. If you end up in Seattle a pretty good meal can be had at the Harvest Vine or Le Pichet, however they are not anything to be confused with an amazing experience. West in Vancouver is unequalled north of The French Laundry. IMHO.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Sorry, as much as I like the idea of the Ark and Shoalwater, I ate at both last year and was not impressed at all. Stopped in at both last month and was overwhelmed with the scent of restroom cleaner and underwhelmed by the lack of hospitality. Didn't bother to try the food at either thist visit. (I did enjoy both of them about 6 or 7 years ago.)

Drat. Don't know how to post pix & linx. Drat.

BUT, check out www.riverruncottages.com.

You stay on houseboats tethered to shore. You soak in the hottub as Canadian geese fly overhead. You fall asleep to the rise and fall of the tide.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hey NS'sM, thanks!

I'm currently undergoing tutelage. (And I'm learning how to post Pix&Linx, too. :biggrin: )

And River Run in Ladner is the most divine place I've ever stayed.

And I've stayed in some pretty divine places.

The Inn at the Market in Seattle (actually in Pike Place Market) is also worth checking out:

Okay - so that's one of my very favorite urban hotels.

But it can be pretty pricey - especially if you get water view.

The Inn at the Market in Seattle (actually in Pike Place Market) is also worth checking out:

Okay - so that's one of my very favorite urban hotels.

But it can be pretty pricey - especially if you get water view.

In addition to Jaymes, Tony Bourdain also recommends Inn at the Market. I believe Southerngirl has also stayed there before. (just in case you come to Seattle, this is 'the place' to stay for foodies, as it's in the Pike Place Market).