• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Paris] On-line reservations

ariggsby

I'm going to be in Paris for a few days in the middle of this month, and I've been trying to make reservations at some mostly middle-range restaurants. Given my total lack of spoken French, I've been trying to do this on-line (whether web-based or e-mail). But of four places only one (Taillevent) has actually confirmed a reservation, one sent me an automatic reply saying that they (or rather their computer) had gotten the message but no actual confirmation, and two have not replied at all. Now, I certainly understand if a restaurant doesn't want to book electronically at all, but it seems a little odd to me to provide the opportunity, then ignore requests. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

Don't assume that anything works. Recently I read about another naive American who booked on-line, as I recall EVEN got a confirmation, and then appeared at the appointed hour in Paris to discover there was no reservation.

Surely at the largest public university in the United States, you must be able to contact someone who knows enough French to book the table for you. That is my best advice. Alternatively you might take a crash course in French.

Actually talking to the resto is the only way to ensure you have a booking, and even then....

Edited by VivreManger (log)

In most mid-range restaurants in Paris, someone will speak English when you call. Call the restaurant, ask in French if the person speaks English, and 80% of the time they will speak enough to make a reservation. If they don't, they will usually get someone who does. So I say just call yourself. And don't forget to confirm each reservation with a call a day or two ahead when you get to Paris.

Few places respond to emails, even though their web sites may indicate otherwise.

You can ask the concierge at your hotel to call a few restaurants for you. Fax or email them in advance (they usually do answer email, from guests) but realize, save for the fancy places, some restaurants don't take reservations until a few weeks prior to the date.

And it's a nice and welcome gesture to reward them with something, like a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine, for scoring tables for you.

Be sure to confirm a day or so in advance when you arrive in Paris as well to avoid disappointment.

You can also use a service, like Edible Paris (to name one, and I'm sure there are others), to make restaurant reservations for you as well.

I'm going to be in Paris for a few days in the middle of this month, and I've been trying to make reservations at some mostly middle-range restaurants.  Given my total lack of spoken French, I've been trying to do this on-line (whether web-based or e-mail).  But of four places only one (Taillevent) has actually confirmed a reservation, one sent me an automatic reply saying that they (or rather their computer) had gotten the message but no actual confirmation, and two have not replied at all.  Now, I certainly understand if a restaurant doesn't want to book electronically at all, but it seems a little odd to me to provide the opportunity, then ignore requests.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Andrew

I just cut to the chase and signed up for an international calling plan with my local provider. It was about five dollars. My calls were less than a minute each and were answered by people who not only spoke English, but were quite nice as well. All gave their names as well a request to reconfirm

the day before. Good luck...