• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you get when you freeze an egg?

chefadamg

Well...I'm sitting here searching through the pictures on El Bulli's web site....and my brain gets full of all kinds of ridiculous ideas. What the hell happens when you freeze a chicken or quail egg w/ its shell on??

Can the shell be easily taken off.... revealing frozen egg? I'm sure theres some culinary value..or have I been looking at the El Bulli web site to long???

No egg in the house right now ...

Edited by chefadamg (log)

I mean I've never done it on purpose. But doesn't the shell crack from the insides swelling? Or did I make that up? But I always toss frozen eggs, never tried to use them or do it on purpose. It only happens when the frige gets too cold. They get watery don't they?

When an egg freezes - as happens often here because we keep chickens and, well, it's winter - the shell cracks as the egg expands. When it thaws, the texture of the yolk is quite changed. It becomes rubbery and weird and I have never had the inclination to experiment. I usually just muck them up and cook scrambled eggs for the dog.