• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Couscous

In Morocco we were served dessert couscous more than once.

It was almost as if the couscous had been cooked with milk, raisins, sugar and cinnamon powder.

Of course there was the ever favorite orange blossom water.

What was most unique was the piping hot reduced milk that was served alongside this sweet couscous.

It was as if the couscous was being treated like a pudding or even a porridge.

Are there restaurants in the US that serve this sweet couscous?

Is thre an Arabic name for this dish?

Is it a traditional dish?

Is thre an Arabic name for this dish?

Is it a traditional dish?

Seffa Is what maybe you are looking for. Yes, a glass of hot milk is served with it - That is why I had a less than normal enthuism for it :angry:

anil

Treat it like any grain - so oats for porridge - cooked for 20 mins in hot milk for cous cous. It is a fantastic breakfast cereal - the full ras-el-hanout is probably not what yr palate wants first thing but I'd think cinnamon wd be a great addition to the day's start. Apple is probably good with this (either as compote or poached in milk...)

Wilma squawks no more

Seffa is the correct name... how could I forget. Thanks Anil!

The Seffa we were served came with raisins and cinnamon in it.

In fact at one place they served it with warm buttermilk... I had never tasted warm buttermilk by itself.

Also served alongside it was a chilled orange salad that was topped with cinnamon and sugar and orange blossom water.

It was too much cinnamon for me... For some reason I do not take well to too much cinnamon.... I like my spices very subtle...

But the couscous was very nice.... and very light.

And apple compote sounds great... thanks for the idea Gavin! :smile:

I recently had two couscous dishes that could have easily been made into a dessert- start with either apricots or dates (medjool) in double the amount of water that you'll need for the couscous- reduce by half, remove the fruit, and make the couscous.

From there, the ones I had went in the savory direction, but could easily have been dessert- chop the fruit, or the apple compote- add it, plus some mascarpone maybe-

sounds delicious to me

I recently had two couscous dishes that could have easily been made into a dessert- start with either apricots or dates (medjool) in double the amount of water that you'll need for the couscous- reduce by half, remove the fruit, and make the couscous.   

From there, the ones I had went in the savory direction, but could easily have been dessert-  chop the fruit, or the apple compote-  add it, plus some mascarpone maybe-

sounds delicious to me

I will try this one out and keep you posted. Thanks for the great tip. :smile:

From there, the ones I had went in the savory direction, but could easily have been dessert-  chop the fruit, or the apple compote-  add it, plus some mascarpone maybe-

sounds delicious to me

Would you mind posting on the Couscous thread what the direction was for the savory couscous you mention above?

It sounds wonderful. The link to the other couscous thread that would be more appropriate for a savory version is below. Thanks for your generous post. :biggrin:

Couscous Thread

• 9 months later...

My Mum, whose family originates in Morocco, makes a sweet couscous using baked onions, pumpkin, chickpeas and almonds served with couscous and flavoured with cinnamon and brown sugar. Although delicious, it always comes out a little dry for my liking and I plan to adapt it one day. I will get the precise recipe from her when I next see her and try it out. She serves it as a starter, not a dessert.

Aunt Ilana

• 1 month later...
My Mum, whose family originates in Morocco, makes a sweet couscous using baked onions, pumpkin, chickpeas and almonds served with couscous and flavoured with cinnamon and brown sugar. Although delicious, it always comes out a little dry for my liking and I plan to adapt it one day. I will get the precise recipe from her when I next see her and try it out. She serves it as a starter, not a dessert.

Aunt Ilana

Aunt, the recipe from your mother would be most welcome.

In India we make a Zarda Pulao (sweet pulao) which is also served as a savory, not as a dessert. It is made with rice though. And is DELICIOUS!

I recently made a sweet couscous with coconut milk, cardamom, almonds, raisins and rose water. I was following a cookbook recipe. Although next time I'll reduce the quantity of cardamom - it was a bit much, it was a a very comforting dish. And very easy to make.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 1 year later...

When my wife and I were invited to dinner at an Algerian friend's home in Paris, she said that the whole night she was thinking, "don't they ever stop eating couscous?" especially when dessert came out.

Sugar, raisins and cinnamon with Kefir. Dates and figs are also common. Some nuts too. I prefer kefir to other dairy because it has a refreshing tang.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com