• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Legal Seafoods

Cosmo

Just came back from Short Hills Mall and noticed Legal Seafoods is going to be next to Neiman Marcus, in the hallway by TIffany's...

That should greatly improve the mall food choices as I've never been impressed by Joe's or any of the other restaurants there.

Cosmo

Papparazzi has always been subpar. Besides the bar staff, the service is very medicore. Joe's is good for a burger but sometimes I don't think it's the cleanest. Maybe because it's always dark. Look foward to Legal, I'm sure at least the bar will be good. Ate at Legal in Boston but not in NJ. I'll have to check the posts of the one in,I think Paramus.

Lou

• 8 months later...

My mom and I just had lunch at the new Legal Seafood at the Mall at Short Hills. It is located between Neiman Marcus and Tiffany's on the lower level. The only entrance to the restaurant is from the exterior of the mall (but it is adjacent to a mall entrance so it is easily (if weirdly) accessable by mall pedestrians). They seem to have adopted a new Indian influence to a few menu items, but I wouldn't recommend the Rasam Seafood Soup. However, the scallops on my salad of greens, green apples, avocado and goat cheese with a chipotle flavored vinaigrette, were excellent as was the salad itself. I am so frequently dissapointed with scallops, but these were really really good, and cooked perfectly too (that is not well-done, but kind of medium-rare). My mom had this blue-plate special looking concoction called the Jasmine Special. Jasmine rice topped with (grilled/sauteed?) shrimp (they tasted like they may have been brined), surrounded by well cooked broccoli (ringing the entire plate ala General Tso's chicken) and topped with a Monterey Jack Cheese sauce. Eh.

Service was excellent and I think they may have transferred experienced staff from other restaurants rather than start over with all new people.

Anyway, they just opened Tuesday and are already getting slammed at dinner time (although lunch didn't pack the place), and I assume (although I didn't ask) that they have the standard Legal policy of no reservations. So pick up your buzzers and browse at Tiffany's while you wait.

I don't know what people like about Legal Seafood.

the oysters.

where do you get good oysters in NJ? i haven't found many places with the selection and quality of Legal Seafood. and their winelist is far better than most restaurants in NJ.

I almost never order anything but the fish and chips from the regular menu.

i do indeed like their fried fish, although it's not something i'd normally order. their other selections, which i suppose are relatively simple preparations of grilled and baked fish, are uninspired. but, it seems that freshness is a theme at LS, and that says something.

they are also somewhat committed to "healthy" frying, using "good" oil.

I have eaten at the Legal at the Boca Raton Town Center several times and have enjoyed the food. What I found interesting is their bragging about quality, how everything goes through their quality inspection in Boston. I asked specifically about the soft-shell crabs, which appeared to be from Maryland-- did they go from Baltimore to Boston to Florida? What well-traveled crabs! I never got a clear answer to that, or to whether they use local Florida fish. But all the info on the place mats is impressive.

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

the oysters.

where do you get good oysters in NJ?

South City Grill in Mountain Lakes and Soho on George in New Brunswick are the best in my opinion...

Not fried oysters, but the Jingle Inn sushi restaurant on Grand Ave (right under the Route 46 overpass) has great raw oysters. I've had them at least 3 times.

Its a pretty good sushi rstaurant as well, with some unique sushi rolls. Comfy little place with great couches you sit on as you eat your sushi.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree with Tommy on the oysters. I live in South Florida and have dined at the Sawgrass Mills mall location (shopping mecca) of Legal Seafoods. Their selection of oyster is the best in the area. Almost everyone here has oysters from apalachicola (sp?) and only the upscale joints have blue points. I think it is one of the better chain restaurants. Not quite up there with Houston's, but not too far behind.

South Florida

have eaten at Legal IN Paramus, very very uninspired

i suppose you don't like oysters? how can a fresh selection of oysters be "uninspired"? we're focusing on oysters here. everyone pretty much agrees that the place isn't offering cutting edge cuisine, but does offer good oysters and a good wine list.

toddevan - You keep telling us what you find uninteresting and uninspiring (not that I'm dissagreeing with you about Legal, but sometimes that's the best option. When you're shopping in a mall it is not always convenient or even conceivable to leave the mall (and your parking space) to have lunch). Could you tell us (in another thread if it is not appropriate to this one) what places in NJ you enjoy?

PS - another good option at Legal is the fried whole belly clams. You basically can't get them anywhere else in the area. If someone could tell me where else to get them within about a 30 mile radius (well not radius, how about west of Manhattan), I could happily avoid the dreaded chain.

We have discussed this restaurant pretty extensively on the Restaurant Chain thread--

I reiterate that I think this place is overrated, overpriced, looks like a diner inside, and there are always (indredibly) lines. Invariably the seafood at other "better" restaurants is prepared better, priced the same (or less) and you get tablecloths and good service and no lines. Still a mystery why these chains are so popular....

Invariably the seafood at other "better" restaurants is prepared better, priced the same (or less) and you get tablecloths and good service and no lines.

not the oysters. :raz:

And tell me where I can get better fried clams in Northern New Jersey and I'll stop going to Legal... right now, for fried seafood there's no place better.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree strongly with menton on Legal

- if in Paramus mall perhaps Cal Pizza Kitchen for quick bite

most mall dining experiences are better left keeping quick

- recently tried McCormick & Schmick and disappointed

Sea Shack in Hackensack/Hasbrouck Heights border has oysters cheaper than Legal... and tablecloths!!

Don't eat too much fried seafood, but the Seafood Gourmet, a retail store that has cooked entrees, has the best Fried Scallop sandwich I've ever eaten. On the main drag in Maywood. They also will fry any seafood they sell, and will do it either breaded or battered. Their Manhattan Chowder rocks as well.