• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Style Curry Question

I love Thai style curry and I love to make it.

The problem I face sometimes, is that I cannot get the curry flavour I want without making it way too hot/spicy.

I use jarred Thai Curry paste and coconut milk as my base. Sometimes it comes out flavourful, other times I need to add alot of curry paste just to get the flavour, but then it is of course way too spicy for some people.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1) Make your own curry pastes. That's the best way to get the flavour/heat combination you like best.

2) If you insist on using prepared curry pastes, buy a few of the non-heat-inducing ingredients of the curry paste (lemongrass, for example), and blend them with the instant curry paste. use a food processor if you have one, or a good mortar and pestle.

3) You don't say whether you are using the same brand of curry paste each time you make it. I would imagine that if you did, your curries would be more consistent in flavour.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I agree make your own ..I buy curry paste in containers but it is unpredictable in heat and flavor..even with in the same brand. If you have a food processor ...there are endless recipes for good Thai curries ...red, yellow, green Panang ...you just toss everything into it and voila you got it going on.... It does keep well in the fridg or freezer but I tend to make a batch for each time I make curry ...from what is fresh and available at the market...

I find even my own recipes are however is also a bit unpredictable heat to flavor wise due to the variable heat in the chiles I use. But it is easier to control as well ..when you make your own you can increase flavors you like with out increasing the heat.

good luck in your adventure

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet