• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best chocolate cake

Veghead

I love the old-fashion chocolate layer cake - almost impossible to find in this city.  And yes, I'm too lazy to make one from scratch.

Does anyone know of a bakery or restaurant in Vancouver that might still make something like this?

Maybe a day (okay, 6 months) late and a dollar short (just found this question) but I'm a sucker for the chocolate cake on offer at Topanga Cafe on 4th near MacDonald. Seriously chocolaty, layered, gooey but not slimy, bittersweet but not too bitter, tiny crunchy choconuggets of unknown provenance lurking therein. I've been known to order it at the same time as I order my main because once the specimen on the cake pedestal is gone, it's gone. This thread has inspired me to ask about special ordering a whole one (the Significant Engineer's birthday is looming).