• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

using glucose/corn syrup in candies

chris sigur

Does anyone know how to create a sesame or almond brittle that will not get sticky when left out at room temperature? I understand that working with glucose syrup with a low DE has low hygroscopy (this is from Wybauw's book), and is thus suitable for this kind of thing. But I have found no way to tell whether the glucose syrup has a low or high DE. They don't seem to be labeled this way.

I have also been told that those who work in sugar use isomalt instead of sucrose for this same reason. Any thoughts on this??

Thanks,

Chris

Great timing - I made one yesterday for a dessert I did today. I didn't have glucose so I used wild heather honey from Italy which worked perfectly for what you described - granted I come from a dry environment.

caviar2.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Does anyone know how to create a sesame or almond brittle that will not get sticky when left out at room temperature?  I understand that working with glucose syrup with a low DE has low hygroscopy (this is from Wybauw's book), and is thus suitable for this kind of thing.  But I have found no way to tell whether the glucose syrup has a low or high DE.  They don't seem to be labeled this way.

I have also been told that those who work in sugar use isomalt instead of sucrose for this same reason.  Any thoughts on this??

Thanks,

Chris

Chris I am wondering if is the glucose with a low DE is denser( maybe some more sugar expert will pich in)

I have found a great organic corn syrup at my local vitamine cottage, doesnt contain high fructose corn syrup and is very very thick , like the regular glucose you will buy for pastry use ( online for me ).

Vanessa

Does anyone know how to create a sesame or almond brittle that will not get sticky when left out at room temperature?  I understand that working with glucose syrup with a low DE has low hygroscopy (this is from Wybauw's book), and is thus suitable for this kind of thing.  But I have found no way to tell whether the glucose syrup has a low or high DE.  They don't seem to be labeled this way.

I have also been told that those who work in sugar use isomalt instead of sucrose for this same reason.  Any thoughts on this??

Thanks,

Chris

Chris I am wondering if is the glucose with a low DE is denser( maybe some more sugar expert will pich in)

I have found a great organic corn syrup at my local vitamine cottage, doesnt contain high fructose corn syrup and is very very thick , like the regular glucose you will buy for pastry use ( online for me ).

Thanks Vanessa. Great idea about the organic corn syrup. If you were to try to carmelize this, would you just heat it to hard crack, or add any water, or sugar or anything?

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Vanessa. Great idea about the organic corn syrup. If you were to try to carmelize this, would you just heat it to hard crack, or add any water, or sugar or anything?

Chris

Problem is I'm making this up as I go along. The recipe I have calls for 300 g of sugar, 266 g of water (one cup), carmelized, mixed with 90 g of toasted sesame. The product works fine, except if it is left at room temperature for a day or so, it gets sticky. So I'm trying to figure out if I either substitute all glucose for the sugar syrup, or mix the two is some way, I can carmelize it and get a product that will last a few more days before getting sticky.

Need those sugar experts out there!!

It seems too much water for me ( hopefully someoneelse will help here :raz: )

I would make a regular caramel for a croquant , using only sugar and eventually some glucose to avoid cristallization or honey if you like the taste .If you decide to experiment without water , make sure to stirr the sugar/glucose mixture till its completely melted and then let it caramelise and procede as for the recipe.

I will definately try without water ,or if you want to have water I will use a Tbsp thats it.

Vanessa