• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good place to eat outside of Chinatown Philly

YummyInMyTummy

Um, I think what Vadouvan is trying to say is that there are many wonderful restaurants in the city of Philadelphia-- and several of them are located outside of Chinatown!

If you could be a little more specific about what you're looking for, I'm sure somebody will be delighted to pass along some recommendations.

Alternatively, you could browse the PA forum and see which restaurants have been recommended to visitors in the past; we'd be happy to follow up with you about which are still good.

Im just looking for somewhere nice to eat that is close by Chinatown. Whenever I visit I stay at a friends place and they live in Chinatown, so somewhere that is close by there would be nice. Im open to almost anything that isnt asian food, since thats the only thing i eat in Philly.

Looking for something thats not too expensive and a little romantic.

Very close to Chinatown is Solefood, the restaurant in the Loew's Hotel, Market & 11th.

I haven't been there, but any restaurant that lists "yesterday's soup" on its menu has, at the very least, a decent sense of humor. This is a hotel restaurant (in a landmark International architecture style building), which means it's no bargain, but the prices aren't outrageous. The exec chef, Tom Harkins, is a South Philly native whose first job was working under Olivier de St. Martin and continues to march in the Comic Division of the Mummer's Parade on New Year's Day.

If you go (or if anyone else has been) I'd be interested in your report.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report