• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best oil to stir-fry shrimp?

Jan Primus

I've always used peanut oil in such circumstances, but must admit I still haven't tried grapeseed.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Most of it is polyunsaturated fat. About 10% of the fat is saturated. Grapeseed oil also contains linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid, and apparently is one of the few food products known to be able to raise HDL and lower LDL. However, I think many of the nutrients in the oil are heat-sensitive and therefore may be lost during stir-frying.

Another interesting tidbit I found....guess which edible oil has the highest smoke point? Avocado oil! Too bad it's not neutral in flavor!

I have to confess that I am ignorant in the ways of duck fat, but my first reaction would be butter. If the smoke point is really an issue then I would say grapeseed oil but make certain to add butter right as the shrimp come out of the pan. :wink:

"Best" in this context is an interesting idea :smile: but if you ask me right now I might say ghee / clarified butter. If you're making something spicy and it seems appropriate, you can give the ghee some colour first for that 'noisette' smokiness.

Around the Med you'd likely be shot if you didn't use olive oil.

A guy I know who lives in California relates the idea that heavier people should fear heart disease and so beware of heavier fats and stick to light oils like canola; and that skinny folk should be more concerned about cancer and use ghee - for what it's worth.

The other best point is to use something deeper than your frying pan, or give up on stir-frying :biggrin:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I'd say no to butter, even clarified. The flavor is too distinct, and it overlays the delicate shrimp flavor.

Leaving the shell on increases "shrimpiness." Open them up the back with a curved serrated vegetable knife and devein, but leave as much on as you can -- even the heads.

For sauteeing shrimp, I usually use a just a little mild EVOO plus some dry vermouth, and a smidgin (1/8 teaspoon) of Old Bay.

I use coconut oil (which is solid at room temp) or peanut oil because I like the flavors they add to stirfy and seafood especially.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini