• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Backyard Beauties - Fresh Tomatos

johnnyd

Last Monday, Backyard Beauties from Madison, Maine delivered their first shipment to Portland Hannaford markets. I picked up a couple for $2.99/lb - they look great.

It is freakin' minus five degrees (with the windchill) outside and someone is growing tomatos in Madison, Maine. That's a two hour drive - north - from Portland, where it is minus ten degrees (with windchill).

"On a cold February day in 2004 Paul Sellew realized that every tomato in his grocery store was from Holland or Mexico or Canada and were not really ripe, they just turned red while traveling."

Now, he's the largest greenhouse operation in New England. Outstanding! Talk about a guy who solves a problem. I'll let you know how they taste.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I'm really glad to see that happening there. Fantastic. I bet they *will* taste pretty good, too.

The guy that started that obviously knows what he's doing - lots of background from his family's business. . .the only thing I could not figure out from the website was whether they were hydroponic or not. A greenhouse operation *can* be hydroponically-based without having to state it, can't they?

Not that I think it matters (in some ways). Some of the best tomatoes I've tasted recently (a bit strange to think of but true) have been hydroponic.

the only thing I could not figure out from the website was whether they were hydroponic or not. A greenhouse operation *can* be hydroponically-based without having to state it, can't they

I caught the tail end of a TVnews item about these guys and there were three to four-foot tall plants coming out of green round thingies behind the owner, so I think they are dirt-bourne. Don't hydro plantings involve long trays with vermiculite, perlite and such?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Not really. They can be individual "pots" spaced apart and fed nutrients by tubing and the soil can be a porous, sponge-like medium that the roots dangle thru.

With the heating required in the winter I am amazed that they don't cost more!

I grow tomatoes outdoors and sure do miss them in the winter. The best that my Stop and Shop can offer are fair, at best... almost not worth using. The "ugly" tomatoes seem to be the best if you can find them.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 2 weeks later...
what about just not eating tomatoes in winter?

I feel already lucky if I find a really tasty one during summer.......

so true..but that doesn't stop me from wanting to find out where I can find them here in the Boston area. I expect disappointment, but it only reinforces the appreciation of the real thing. Ocassionally, I give in and order "chesapeake" crab cakes outside of Baltimore/DC for the same reason. Hope springs eternal.

It is freakin' minus five degrees (with the windchill) outside and someone is growing tomatos in Madison, Maine. That's a two hour drive - north - from Portland, where it is minus ten degrees (with windchill).

I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost broke my neck at least 5 times today when I was walking to catch the bus and the T. I hate ice

so do you think they will have those tomatos at the hannaford here in boston, or are they only up in maine? I haven't had a good tomato in a while, well since summer of course. I have to settle for those tiny cherry tomatos in a basket.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

BBeauties seem to be in two hannafords in Portland and they sell pretty well. I checked out the new Whole Foods on opening day and there was a gigantic pile of them at a slightly higher price per pound. So I imagine they really should be organizing shipments to Mass. Seek out the Veg manager and mention them by name, say they sell in the Portland stores and tell him you'll get your friends to buy 'em if he get's 'em.

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 month later...