• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

167 Year Old Wedding Cake On Display

K8memphis

Click here for story.

Pieces of Queen Victoria's wedding cake will be on display as part of a 60th wedding anniversary celebration for the Queen and Prince Phillip.

There's just something really sweet about that. :wub:

We save cake toppers and the top tier for a year, but that beats the stuffins out of both those traditions. And then I wondered how that one year tradition came about...

Edited by K8memphis (log)

And I've heard some good folklore from my cake buddies in the meantime.

Carla said: The practice was to have a three tier cake ideally where the bottom tier was served to wedding guests. The middle tier was divied up and taken home. While the top tier was saved for baby's christening which way back when would soon follow the wedding. Somehow the baby christening thing has fallen by the wayside and now it is saved for the first anniversary.

Kory said: Those were fruitcakes of course. And the wedding cake was often baked at the time of the engagement so it could cure for the whole length of time until the wedding.

Shirley said: Remember the Seinfeld when Elaine ate that antique cake her boss got at an auction 'cause she was hungry and tired to replace it with an Entemann's cake?? :laugh:

I've heard about these old surviving British cakes once in a while. If they can last that long what did they taste like to begin with?

I remember Seinfeld did an episode where Elaine ate a piece of old British cake that her boss bought at an auction. I can't remember if she liked it though.

Jennifer

I've heard about these old surviving British cakes once in a while.

Several years ago the Getty in Malibu had an exhibit of sugarwork from the 1800s which was absolutely stunning and breathtaking.

I've heard about these old surviving British cakes once in a while.  If they can last that long what did they taste like to begin with?

I remember Seinfeld did an episode where Elaine ate a piece of old British cake that her boss bought at an auction.  I can't remember if she liked it though.

Jennifer

I was also reminded of the Seinfeld episode. She enjoyed it, which makes no sense since it was a cake made from 1937.