• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Seattle with Little Brother

I am heading down to Seattle next weekend for Saturday and Sunday nights and wondered which hotels you guys would recommend? I have stayed at the W, the Fairmont and the Vintage Park before (plus a couple I can't remember) but wanted to try something different.

I am also taking my little brother (Big Brothers Program) along, so I need some ideas for cool, kid friendly restaurants that have great food which would appeal to me, but which would also appeal to a 12 yo who is very adventursome. His favorite food is sushi so any recommendations on that front would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Eric

PS. The hotel should also be kid friendly (i.e pool) if possible, and within walking distance to fun things to do DT.

Here is some visitor 4-1-1:

We had really good luck finding accomodations using this service. I think most of their quirky places (artist lofts, houseboats) have a week minimum but it's worth a look and they work with hotels as well.

And he has a link to this fairly exhaustive list of 'attractions'.

It's embarrassingly touristy but the Duck Tour (on an old amphibious military vehicle) might be fun. Not that I would ever do anything that silly.:rolleyes:

I'm sure the locals can help on the sushi front.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I like the pool at the Mariott at the Waterfront - half indoor half out - if you can get a deal. It's on the wrong side of the street, but...on the waterfront. There is a museum close by: Maritime Discovery, and walking distance to the new sculpture park and the Seattle Center.

Close to Belltown and Downtown. Belltown has numerous sushi places.

Here is some visitor 4-1-1:

We had really good luck finding accomodations using this service

Holy cow! What a great website...I made a note of it for visiting guests. Thanks monssongrl!

Assuming you'll have a car, there's a property up on Queen Anne that looks like it has a great view. The rates look good too.

A friend of mine stayed at the Mariott downtown with the pool half indoors and half out. He was traveling with his son and they had a great time enjoying the pool.

Also, not sure if you absolutely have to stay downtown or if you will have a car, but this place on that site looks amazing. Might be fun to take that boat out on the water and putter around...And Bellevue is just 15 minutes outside Seattle.

FYI...the city apparently just ruled that houseboats will no longer be available for rent on a short term basis. Bummer..

Edited by scarlett (log)

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

Hey, Eric - I love your newsletter, it's my vicarious B.C. fix!

For food, maybe try Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard. It's really good Mexican, but all small plates, so you can share lots of dishes. Not a smashed beans and rice place.

Jones BBQ is also fun, a real hole in the wall with excellent BBQ and great greens. I like to get rib tips (fun for kids, majorly messy to eat) with double greens. Oh, and a cornbread to go with.

It's hard, since Vancouver has so much more to offer than we do, but those two would be special and different from what you can get up there, I think.

If he has the slightest interest in music, don't miss the Experience Music Project. We went when my son was 14 or 15 and it enthralled us for most of the day (and, we got to take the monorail to get there!).

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

• 4 weeks later...