• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper Help

ravelda

Ok, I am sure that I am worrying about nothing, but I cooked with my new Mauviel copper frying pan on Saturday, and the copper has big patches where it has an almost rainbow effect. Firstly is this normal, and secondly, with copper cleaner, will this go back to its gorgeous copper colour?

Somebody, please help!!

:shock:

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Normal!

your pans are fine. That's just the early stages of oxidation. You can polish it away with any copper polish. but my wish for you is to learn to love the patina of a pan that gets used (as opposed to the coppery gleam of a fetish object in a show kitchen). A few more uses, and the pan will darken with a nice mottled, well-worn look that tells the world you actually coook with it.

My good friend is a cook with a huge batterie of copper cookware. He used to keep it all gleaming. Finally his mom called and said, "David, stop polishing your copper and go out and make some friends."

'Nuff said.

Ok, I am sure that I am worrying about nothing, but I cooked with my new Mauviel copper frying pan on Saturday, and the copper has big patches where it has an almost rainbow effect.  Firstly is this normal, and secondly, with copper cleaner, will this go back to its gorgeous copper colour?

Somebody, please help!!

:shock:

Notes from the underbelly

I worked in a swank French place and they never actually bothered to polish the pans. Whatever you do, they'll never gleam as they did when they were new, so put yourself out of that misery. On the other hand, a $2.99 can of "Barkeep's Friend," from the obscure cleaning products section of your grocery or hardware store, will get them back up to pretty durn clean with almost no effort. Think Comet on steroids.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks for all your responses, I am now much happier! I hear what you are saying Paul, but just as I like my food to look good on a plate, I want to have some show piece pans. And one look at the stainless steel lining of the pan will always denounce the pans as well used. I just got a 28cm Mauviel Saute pan yesterday - it is a tru thing of beauty, but damned heavy! Getting that back on the tube (London Subway) on crutches was a challenge and a half last night!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?