• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant recommendation 62nd at Central Park

Mano

Looking for a reasonably priced restaurant located nearby 62nd and Central Park. I'd prefer a BYOB but it's by no means necessary.

I'll do a search as well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

what is "reasonably-priced"?

what sort of restaurant?

is a corkage fee acceptable?

your best bet for byo places somewhat near there are the ethnic restaurants dotting ninth avenue in the 50's.

edit: I see you're from PA, which has many byo restaurants due to your absurd liquor and wine laws. BYO is technically illegal in NY (if a restaurant doesn't have a license they're not supposed to let customers bring their own)...but there are a small amount of restaurants (usually ethnic) that do byo. It is really not very common here though. Most the byo places are downtown or in the boroughs.

Edited by Nathan (log)

what is "reasonably-priced"?

what sort of restaurant?

is a corkage fee acceptable?

your best bet for byo places somewhat near there are the ethnic restaurants dotting ninth avenue in the 50's.

edit:  I see you're from PA, which has many byo restaurants due to your absurd liquor and wine laws.  BYO is technically illegal in NY (if a restaurant doesn't have a license they're not supposed to let customers bring their own)...but there are a small amount of restaurants (usually ethnic) that do byo.  It is really not very common here though.  Most the byo places are downtown or in the boroughs.

Good questions. I'm from Philly but go to NYC regularly so I realize "reasonable" is mid $20's for an entree.

Type of restaurant is open. My dining companions are used to me taking them to different places they wouldn't ordinarily frequent. I'd rather avoid any place that serves monkey, or something equally exotic.

Corkage is fine.

He didn't specify........Mano, Cntrl Park E. or W?

Either way, slim pickins on both sides for your price range......a few (over priced) bistro's to the east i.e. La Goulue, Bilboquet, 212. JoJo might be worth a shot. Anyone been recently? (not cheap). Telepan to the west might be the most interesting. Close by, Cesca is a popular Tom Valenti spot. I haven't been to either but there's plenty of online info for all. Fyi, there are few restaurants in the W.60's.

One suggestion is Nook on 9th Ave/51st. It's French/E.European byo. Tiny place with solid food, friendly service and good prices.

Here's a list of byo's......I'm sure there are better if you google around:

http://www.littleviews.com/home/newyork/wi...aurant_list.cfm

That wasn't chicken

Sorry, CP west.

Compass or Telepan look promising. So does Pasha, but reservations for six are limited.

I'll review Eatmywords' list of BYO's

Looking for a reasonably priced restaurant located nearby 62nd and Central Park.  I'd prefer a BYOB but it's by no means necessary.

I'll do a search as well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

You might want to try "Nook" on Ninth Avenue at 50th Street.

It is a nice walk from the Park.

Ninth Avenue is lined with interesting restaurants by the way.

Afgan Kabob House is on Ninth and Fifty First (a block away).

Also try www.littleviews.com as well as Zagat's both of which

note BYO's.

BYO restaurants in Manhattan are rare. There is no scene like one finds in

Philly. This is due to the PA state liquor laws and is quite unique in the US.

(as the threads here will attest).

Many fine restaurants in Manhattan do allow one to bring wine and pay a corkage fee.

I personally, would not bring wine unless the bottle was a wine not likely found

on a list or a special bottle. To bring wine just to avoid buying wine from a wine list--to in essence

save money is IMOP a bit gauche.

There are many very good restaurants in Manhattan that have very reasonably priced wine lists.

Good luck and let us know how you eventually make out!