• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Pudding: Tips & Techniques

JennyUptown

Mike, I'd love the name of that bakery, and thanks. Salvation could be as close as a ten-minute walk!

Brooks, I know that Leidenheimer's doesn't have distribution in New York State (which isn't to say that they might not have contracts with a few local restaurants).

As you know, New Orleans French bread isn't a good keeper. Its airy crumb makes it stale quickly, so it's a less logical candidate for shipping than denser breads or sourdoughs. A Leidenheimer's loaf would have to sell within a day or two of hitting NYC, or it wouldn't sell at all. For freshness, it certainly couldn't compete with breads made locally.

But I'll be curious to hear what you find out, and thanks so much for taking the time to investigate. Looking forward to coming home for Mardi Gras!

CaliPoutine, I would post the recipe, except that it's as I transcribed it from my grandmother's cook, i.e. "One loaf of French bread, about two hands long, minus a couple of inches"!

If I can get it down to something more scientific, I'll post it. The most interesting thing about this bread pudding is that it's deep-dish — baked in a casserole and stirred every 10-15 minutes as it bakes. This results in a creamier pudding that you scoop rather than slice.

You serve it with kick-ass whiskey sauce (but that goes without saying).

The Leah Chase recipe looks fantastic, Brooks. Can't wait to try it.

Brooks, I still have family on 181st so Ive sent them a message to remind me of the name. I want to say "Esperanza Bakery" but I still am not sure and google wasn't any help either.

If all else fails go to Mambi's on 181st and St Nick/Audobon or 177ish and Bway, Caridad on 184th and B'way or the Mirage on Dyckman and ask them, they all use the same bread. Also, 7-8 AM ish they have an army of trucks, you really can't miss em.

When I was growing up Uptown I used to throw the driver a few bucks in the morning for breakfast.

Mike

-Mike & Andrea